Mitsubishi Endeavor This mid-sized sport utility vehicle offers a sporty look and excellent power, as well as a comfortable interior.

Check Engine Light - Bad Catalytic Converter

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2009, 06:39 AM
Default Check Engine Light - Bad Catalytic Converter

So I just picked up my car from a diagnostic of the Check Engine Lights and its bad news. I had codes P0421 and P0431, so when I described to the service analyst the symptoms:
- Lost of Power while Driving, like I'm not stepping on the gas (engine never dies however)
- When Hard Accelerating, I feel the car stutter a bit

It was confirmed that I have a bad catalytic converter. And its going to cost $2800 to have it repaired!?!? I've been searching all over the web for a diagram, part, etc (with no luck), and will continue to call a few of the local muffler shops to see if they'll be able to do it, but has anyone had to replace this? My vehicle is an 04 XLS AWD, and unfortunately has 93K miles on it so its outside that federal replacement window.

Does anyone have a diagram of the cat flow, and why it costs so much to replace? Is there a way to buy the part from elsewhere and have it done? Can't seem to find it online anywhere so any guidance/links/support on the matter would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

Old 05-31-2009, 09:58 PM

any muffler shop can replace those cats for you. much cheaper than the dealer. we send them out to save them a little money. the material in the coverters sometimes melts and deteriorates. it happens in all makes and models of vehicles. so,u didnt get a lemon, just bad luck. greg....

Old 06-01-2009, 05:56 PM

the cats are part of the manifolds. I certainly wouldnt trust any muffler shop to cut and reweld the stainless steel theyre made of. I wouldnt expect most to even try.

If the car is running poorly, chances are thats what ruined the converters. Dont replace them until you know its running well.

also, there are numerous software updates for the 04s. Take it to a dealer and NOT an independant garage to have it checked out and updated if needed.

Old 06-01-2009, 11:21 PM

Originally Posted by jvmoney
So I just picked up my car from a diagnostic of the Check Engine Lights and its bad news. I had codes P0421 and P0431, so when I described to the service analyst the symptoms:
- Lost of Power while Driving, like I'm not stepping on the gas (engine never dies however)
- When Hard Accelerating, I feel the car stutter a bit

It was confirmed that I have a bad catalytic converter. And its going to cost $2800 to have it repaired!?!? I've been searching all over the web for a diagram, part, etc (with no luck), and will continue to call a few of the local muffler shops to see if they'll be able to do it, but has anyone had to replace this? My vehicle is an 04 XLS AWD, and unfortunately has 93K miles on it so its outside that federal replacement window.

Does anyone have a diagram of the cat flow, and why it costs so much to replace? Is there a way to buy the part from elsewhere and have it done? Can't seem to find it online anywhere so any guidance/links/support on the matter would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance!
Sounds about right on pricing...New parts of course...The exhaust Manifold Precats those basteeerds can go up to around 1-3 grand alone.Depending on vehicle..OEM is always more expensive, thats why I always recommend either OEM or Magnaflow-which is a legal alternative....Yes Magnaflow does make them to OEM spec.
the second cat will be alot cheaper of course...to have the welds done on that no shop should charge more than 60 which is a fair price....
Mostly Misfire will eff up the cats...So fix it like manybrews said and then install your stuff. so it doesnt happen again....

Old 06-01-2009, 11:33 PM

Thanks for the feedback. Does anyone know where I can get oem or magnaflow parts for this make and model? I can't seem to find any place that can get me a replacement other than the dealer.

Btw, according to the dealer, the misfires is caused by the bad cat. Is that normal? Dealer states that replacing both cats will correct the problem.

Old 06-02-2009, 02:26 PM

Originally Posted by jvmoney
Thanks for the feedback. Does anyone know where I can get oem or magnaflow parts for this make and model? I can't seem to find any place that can get me a replacement other than the dealer.

Btw, according to the dealer, the misfires is caused by the bad cat. Is that normal? Dealer states that replacing both cats will correct the problem.
they are trying to rip you off man...go to a local shop get a cranking c02 test done to test the functionality of the cats...other than that heres a link for the post after first 02 sensor cat.

http://www2.partstrain.com/store/ind...ic%20Converter

Old 06-03-2009, 06:26 PM

Originally Posted by Blck3G
they are trying to rip you off man...go to a local shop get a cranking c02 test done to test the functionality of the cats...other than that heres a link for the post after first 02 sensor cat.

http://www2.partstrain.com/store/ind...ic%20Converter
you have no idea what you're talking about.

Old 06-03-2009, 08:39 PM

Originally Posted by Manybrews
you have no idea what you're talking about.
ok man,look here....I do this for a living Im a smog guy do this stuff EVERYDAY,BTW just because you worked on one car company for X amount of years doesnt make you a ASE master. To be honest im wording this the nicest way possible so you dont get butthurt....Like I stated I do smogs and repairs this is the ONLY test to test the functionality of a cat convertor so take your fist bite it and shut the hell up...thank you and have a nice day.

Old 06-04-2009, 06:14 PM

Originally Posted by Blck3G
ok man,look here....I do this for a living Im a smog guy do this stuff EVERYDAY,BTW just because you worked on one car company for X amount of years doesnt make you a ASE master. To be honest im wording this the nicest way possible so you dont get butthurt....Like I stated I do smogs and repairs this is the ONLY test to test the functionality of a cat convertor so take your fist bite it and shut the hell up...thank you and have a nice day.
um, I AM an ASE master, with L1. (all incredibly easy to do, so they have no value to me).

and why on earth do you think any modern tech doesnt deal with emission controls and testing everyday of his life?

wake up. Cats fail. they have a finite life. Especially if hes actually been driving around with an ill running engine. And if the cats fail the onboard test, trust me, they're dead. the onboard tests are quite wide, allowing for normal degradation of said cat.

Old 06-04-2009, 06:57 PM

Originally Posted by Manybrews
um, I AM an ASE master, with L1. (all incredibly easy to do, so they have no value to me).

and why on earth do you think any modern tech doesnt deal with emission controls and testing everyday of his life?

wake up. Cats fail. they have a finite life. Especially if hes actually been driving around with an ill running engine. And if the cats fail the onboard test, trust me, they're dead. the onboard tests are quite wide, allowing for normal degradation of said cat.
your posts are biased as can be....Yes cats do fail but its not too common since Jan 1st ive only dealt with 4 bad cats.thats from 500+ customers.I dont care what you say about ase master tech...I know a guy who is only book smart...not the best hands on but 98 on a ASE test gets me applauding him...Other than that your not a smog tech,dont tell me to do my job and stop acting like you know everything...BTW-I have ASE:A1,A4,A5,A6,A8,L1
A1-engine repair
a4-suspension &steering
A5-Brakes
A6-electrical
A8-Engine Performance
L1-Advanced Engine performance...
And now your on my ignore list. Troll.

Quick Reply: Check Engine Light - Bad Catalytic Converter