Mitsubishi Endeavor This mid-sized sport utility vehicle offers a sporty look and excellent power, as well as a comfortable interior.

Check Engine Light - Bad Catalytic Converter

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2009, 10:50 AM

California doesn't ALWAYS smog test there cars. My Girlfriend car hasn't smog test her car since she bought the car 3 years ago.

Here in the Northeast WE SMOG TEST OUR CARS EVERY YEAR without SMOG Sticker you will get a ticket.

I don't understand California emission test Laws. They have the law for emission but they still have the worst pollution in America.

Massachusetts has the Strickest law on emissions test worst than legalizing Gay Marriage.

Old 06-05-2009, 03:32 PM

Originally Posted by BEAT
California doesn't ALWAYS smog test there cars. My Girlfriend car hasn't smog test her car since she bought the car 3 years ago.

Here in the Northeast WE SMOG TEST OUR CARS EVERY YEAR without SMOG Sticker you will get a ticket.

I don't understand California emission test Laws. They have the law for emission but they still have the worst pollution in America.

Massachusetts has the Strickest law on emissions test worst than legalizing Gay Marriage.
Newer than 05 vehicles are smogged every 5 years..

Old 06-06-2009, 08:46 AM

Originally Posted by Blck3G
your posts are biased as can be....Yes cats do fail but its not too common since Jan 1st ive only dealt with 4 bad cats.thats from 500+ customers.I dont care what you say about ase master tech...I know a guy who is only book smart...not the best hands on but 98 on a ASE test gets me applauding him...Other than that your not a smog tech,dont tell me to do my job and stop acting like you know everything...BTW-I have ASE:A1,A4,A5,A6,A8,L1
A1-engine repair
a4-suspension &steering
A5-Brakes
A6-electrical
A8-Engine Performance
L1-Advanced Engine performance...
And now your on my ignore list. Troll.
did you miss the part where I said ASE tests are worthless? A child can pass them. The only reason I bother is because of a financial spiff. They have no value due to their utter simplicity. They are a very poor measure of a techs worth.
and a "smog tech"? Are you serious? So your job is shoving a gas collector into tailpipes?
Yeah, that's tough. As I said previously, as a real tech we not only have to deal with normal smog checks, but the other 99 percent of the car as well. So when a car is running rich or lean, we fix it. when a cat fails, we fix it. But we also repair the failed transaxles, broken door latches, or any of the other million parts of a car that fail.
BTW, when it comes to mitsus, i DO know everything. And cats DO fail. You've replaced 4 in the last 500 cars, huh? We do 4 a week, because CATS FAIL. They have a finite life. period.
And Ive worked on over 15000 cars, from every make and every manufacturer.

Old 09-17-2009, 10:46 PM

BTW, which magnaflow cat should I choose? I'm not sure I understand which ones to buy.

Based on the dealer log, I'll need a Front, Rear and the After Cat. Can I buy any of them and have a certified muffler shop weld them on?

Old 09-18-2009, 04:34 PM

you wont need the third cat, as its not monitored.

it may in fact be failing, but no one will know.

and as I said already, make sure you have the most current software installed in the PCM, and use ONLY premium fuel.

do you tow a lot?

and again, no one in their right mind is going to weld a cat on an exhaust manifold. even if they do, its gonna cost more to do it than using the quality factory parts.

Old 10-19-2010, 09:40 PM

Hello all - Looking for some guidance on this as I finally have to suck it up and make the fix. According to the parts, there's two fronts, and a rear cat. Should I only need to replace the first two?

http://www.oemmitsubishiparts.com/pa...04&catalogid=1

Finally found a place with OEM parts, so any guidance would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Old 07-29-2022, 06:43 PM

Originally Posted by Manybrews
you wont need the third cat, as its not monitored.

it may in fact be failing, but no one will know.

and as I said already, make sure you have the most current software installed in the PCM, and use ONLY premium fuel.

do you tow a lot?

and again, no one in their right mind is going to weld a cat on an exhaust manifold. even if they do, its gonna cost more to do it than using the quality factory parts.

What are your thoughts on straight piping instead of putting new cats in? Or also just drilling through the existing cats ?

Old 07-30-2022, 10:31 AM
Default "straight piping"

Originally Posted by sara_hal
What are your thoughts on straight piping instead of putting new cats in? Or also just drilling through the existing cats ?
Hi. Well, not knowing about your state emissions requirements, and the fact it's illegal, I advise no.
Besides all that, your engine computer uses info from exhaust gases to analyze running efficiency. It uses the OX sensors before and aft of Cats to determine mixture, thousands of times per second.
Are you planning on using the OX sensors? How? A 'bung'? Both will read the same and computer will say cat failure and go to default settings...
Buy a quality aftermarket setup. Will work and you can help us all breathe better,too.
Best,Jeff

Old 07-30-2022, 11:28 AM

I live in Canada and I'm ok with CEL on. I'll get a OBD reader and check periodically for other codes