Mitsubishi Endeavor This mid-sized sport utility vehicle offers a sporty look and excellent power, as well as a comfortable interior.

Endeavor XLS Audio Head & Ipod

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2005, 01:49 PM
Default Endeavor XLS Audio Head & Ipod

Hi-

I'm trying to figure out how to hardwire my IPod the the audio head on the Infiniti 6-CD Changer system of my 2004 Endeavor XLS...

Has anyone here had any success doing this?

If so:

1. What is the make/model # of the audio head on this Infiniti system?
2. What adapter hardware did you use to enable and where did you get it.

Crutchfield (who has all the audio head information) wouldn't tell me the info. - and yet they didn't have an adapter to fit it either... they were trying to push me to buy an afternmarket stereo system upgrade instead...

However, from what little I've been able to find on this stock Infiniti system in the XLS and Limited models, it appears that the audio head unit is integrated with the climate controls (as they are both displayed/operated from the liquid crystal screen...)

I pressed Crutchfield about this and they said that according to their database, there was no issues with upgrading to an aftermarket receiver but according to Car Audio Magazine, there is... they say the reaciever and climate control are definitely integrated....

http://www.caraudiomag.com/specialfeatures/0408cae_oem/

See table at bottom of article...

Anyways, I wondere what to do... I do see that there is a DIN input of some type on the back of the audio head... but I don't know what it is for... I did not purchase the navigation package with this vehicle, so I suspect it may be the input for the navigation module I don't have...

Anyone have any ideas?

Thx.

[:@]

Old 02-06-2005, 04:36 PM
Default RE: Endeavor XLS Audio Head & Ipod

I've taken apart my center console on my Limited. It is pretty easy and you'll see that the climate controls and audio system are not really integrated, except for the controls in the face plate. To take it apart, engage the parking brake, turn the key far enough that you can shift into drive (without starting the car) and then you are ready to pull it apart. To pull it apart, grasp the center console on either side as far down and back as you can. Pull firmly and the clips will release and it will come off. Then pull the from the top and you'll have the console off.

You now need to disconnect the cable harness for the seat warmer controls (if you have them) and the climate controles. You can then set the console aside. To get the stereo out, you need to remove the dashboard display to get to one nut in the back. Its pretty easy, just a couple of screws. Then its 4 screws on the front to get the stero out. You'll see a 13 pin connector on the back that is availble.

Here is where I've been stumped. I could by an RF modulator to plug into the antenna jack, but I'm looking for something more. I bought a 13 pin aux input connector and plugged it in. That gave me RCA inputs for my MP3 player (I'm using a Rio Karma). But I can't figure out how to get the stereo to recognize it. I was hoping that the 13 pin jack was for the DVD player I didn't get and it would automatically over-ride the CD changer. No dice. So I am stumped and looking for someone with a bright idea.

The head end is a Matsu****a Electric (they own Panasonic), model #MR570499. The aux input converter is a Kenwood brand.

Good luck and let me know if you come up with anything.

Old 02-07-2005, 01:30 PM

mjross-

Does your limited have the navigation package?

If not, what do you think of this specualtion?

The 13-Pin din is an S-video input for the navigation module that will interface the navigation maps, etc. on to the liquid crystal screen stock on the car.... the 13-pin then would only used with vehicles equipped with that navigation feature...

The two inputs on the far right of the back of the unit are Left & Right stereo inputs - for the DVD player used on models equipped with that feature...

If this is correct, then the inputs on the far right would be the audio signal inputs we would need to use... we'd need to find a compatable signal converter for whatever those odd looking RCA style plug inputs are... Have you seen inputs like this before?

What do you think?

Old 02-07-2005, 02:03 PM

S Video is a 4 pin configuration, I don't think that is what the available jack is for. I don't have the navigation system and didn't know they offered one. Can't find anything on their site, where did you see it?

The input on the far right is for the antenna. The other may be for some version of a mini plug (like for a walkman), but I don't know. We need to find someone with the DVD system and have them tell us how its hooked up.

Old 02-07-2005, 07:53 PM

Actually, the Nav system looks like it was a one-off for an Endeavor concept model they did - don't think it made the production nodel though....

I am in the aftermarket business and we have similar MP3 player hook-up kits that we sell for Land Rovers...

We get a number of aux converter boxes for these kits from this company...

www.pie.net

I am checking with them to see if they can provide something that will work with that 13-pin connector on the Endeavor... I suspect that the Kenwood-type you tried does not convert at the right modulation for the matsu****a audio head (if that 13-pin input is indeed a standard aux input...) we'll see what they say... I do notice they do not list anything specifically for Mitsubishi vehicles, however...

Old 04-24-2005, 12:39 PM

Well... I spoke with the mechanic at my Mitsubishi dealer... he said the 13-Pin input on the back of the Endeavor XLS/Limited audio head is an additional amplifier input... It's NOT an auxiliary audio input... that matsu****a audio head does not have an auxiliary audio input... so you cannot hardwire an MP3 player to the stock stereo on an XLS or Limited vehicle.... have to go with an aftermarket stereo to do this...

Old 11-23-2005, 08:39 PM

I know this thread is old, but, from what I can tell by looking at rear view diagram of the head unit which I found on the web, the 13-pin DIN connector is actually a "CD Auto Changer 13P DIN Socket".

http://carstereohelp.net/wireharness_Mitsubishi3.htm

I am looking to add RCA inputs to my Rockford Fosgate stereo in my 2006 Eclipse and it has the same type of jack on the back of the head unit.

Old 01-23-2007, 11:19 PM

I understand this is an old thread, but I had something come up relating to this. I purchased the OEM iPod adaptor for my Endeavor 06. I had the installation department at Best Buy put it in for me and now the SRS lite on the dash came on and will not go off.
He has tried unhooking the battery cable for 10 minutes, but to no avail.
Anyone have this happen or heard of it happening?
Thanks

Old 01-28-2007, 01:52 PM

The SRS light seems to come on (and stay on) everytime I remove the stereo. It's happened twice now. I point it out when I take the vehicle to the dealership for an oil change, and they turn it off.

Old 09-02-2007, 08:50 PM

Has there been a conclusive answer to the 13 Pin connector on the back of the Head with the built in 6 CD changer model #MR570499? Whatever it is for, there should be some documentation for its purpose and I would like to knowfor certain before I settle for FM modulation.

Quick Reply: Endeavor XLS Audio Head & Ipod