Mitsubishi Endeavor This mid-sized sport utility vehicle offers a sporty look and excellent power, as well as a comfortable interior.

Speed limiter

Old 01-28-2008, 11:12 AM
Default Speed limiter

Hi Guys,

I'm new at this forum, hope to gethelp about a speed limiter on my Endeavor 04. How can I get rid of it? Can't go faster than 110 mph, seems like the car dies at tht speed.

Anyone nows?

Thanks

Old 01-29-2008, 07:27 PM
Default RE: Speed limiter

There are a few reasons manufacturers use speed limiters, one of which is to ensure the tire speed rating is not exceeded. The 2004 Endeavor comes standard with Firestone Turanzas, which have a "T" speed rating (up to 118 MPH). Have you replaced the original tires with ones rated for higher speeds? Also, SUV's have a tendency to be top heavy and therefore prone to roll-overs. High speed maneuvering is probably one of the better ways to flip over.

Most modern fuel injected cars don't have a dedicated governer device, but monitor a speed sensor and limit revs or cut off fuel supply to the engine when a predetermined limit is reached. This is all done in the ECU. So your options are to either reprogram the ECU (which can be easy but expensive with third-party tools), or keep the ECU from knowing how fast the vehicle is traveling. This is easy and cheap, but may have undesireable consequences. All you need to do is find out which wire going to the ECU is the VSS (vehicle speed sensor) and disconnect (read "cut") it. You can see the inherent problem in this - while your ECU will not know your speed (and when to limit it), neither will you. So, I don't recommend this. Actually, I don't recommend disabling any vehicle safety features, so do any of this at your own risk.

I do not have any service manuals and/or wiring diagrams so I cannot tell you how to disable the VSS input to the ECU, but if you're resourceful you may be able to find the info online. Also, the VSS is located at one of the wheels so you may be able to find it without a wiring diagram if you're so inclined.

Oh, and don't do this.

Old 01-30-2008, 01:52 PM

All the Endeavors I've seen come with Goodyear Intergety tires in a "T" speed rating.

Do you really need to go any faster?

Old 01-30-2008, 02:33 PM

cant u just flash the ecu and set the governer to a higher speed?