Mitsubishi Endeavor This mid-sized sport utility vehicle offers a sporty look and excellent power, as well as a comfortable interior.

Squealing noise from front end?

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2009, 09:29 AM
Default Squealing noise from front end?

Hey, my Fiance and I bought a 04' Endey back in September and it has been a great vehicle! Runs and drives great! Recently though, there has been a high pitch squealing noise coming from what sounds like the front right corner of the car. It sounds alot like loose belt squeal. It starts roughly around 30-35 mph and gets louder and higher pitch the faster you go. When your cruising about 65-70 on the freeway it sound like an air whistle sort of. I have checked the belts, jacked up the front end and checked to see if the wheel bearings were loose (they don't have any play), I have also checked everything under there including the brakes. When we were driving the other night on the freeway, I put the engine in neutral and let it coast for a second and there was no change in the noise, I also tapped the brakes and no change there either. So my conclusion is that it is something rotating with and is vehicle speed sensitive, like a bearing or something.

It only does it sometimes (more than not recently).

Does anybody know what it might be or has anyone ever had this happened to their endeavor? I haven't taken it to the dealer yet cause I'm trying to figure it out on my own to save the money first. I am pretty mechanically inclined too.

I have heard that it could be the output shaft (?) on the transmission? I grabbed the rear driveshaft and tried to shake it and see if there was any play and didn't feel anything.

Any help you have is greatly appreciated!!! Thanks in advance!

Robbie

Old 02-27-2009, 05:50 PM

its one of the propshaft support bearings. there are two. Its likely the front one.

Old 02-27-2009, 07:07 PM

Propshaft support bearings? What are these and where are they located? If I had to guess I'd say mid-drive shaft support bearings?

Is this a pretty common repair on Endeavors? Ours has 92k miles on it. And thanks for the response!

Old 02-27-2009, 09:42 PM

nnmnm

Old 02-27-2009, 09:45 PM

My '07 Endy has been giving me problems with the steering wheel.When I drive in the morning the steering is fine, but an hour later it gets very stiff and
it's very hard to turn the steering to the right.Could somebody tell me what might be happening to my vehicle
Thank you.

Old 03-02-2009, 10:07 PM

Originally Posted by Subydrift
Propshaft support bearings? What are these and where are they located? If I had to guess I'd say mid-drive shaft support bearings?

Is this a pretty common repair on Endeavors? Ours has 92k miles on it. And thanks for the response!
yes and yes. on the 04s and really early 05s.

Old 03-10-2009, 09:47 AM

Steering rack broken,steering belt broken, etc etc check those and check underneath the car for power steering leak