Mitsubishi Evolution For eight generations now, the Evolution has been the leading name in AWD performance, both on the road, and off.

03 Evo, just bought yesterday, is this stock?

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2008, 07:22 AM
Default RE: 03 Evo, just bought yesterday, is this stock?

ORIGINAL: aprilarchambeau

Its not my Evo just in case you were thinking. I completely built my motor, it does not take me long to do the plugs, nothing is in the way. I am going to have my sister take it to Jermaine @Turbo Xs to let him take a look and fix whatever needs to be fixed
dude your not kidding anyone. those motors are a pain in the ***** to work on, maybe you dont think so because you havent worked on a I4. take it from me it is MUCH easier compairing the two cars.

Either way why the hell would you bring the car anywhere? seriously it sounds to me you have one problem, that is boost levels, how hard is that to fix?? if you have pulled and built a motor I am confident you can fix a boost issue lol.

Oh FYI too the Defi boost gauges are also known to be pretty inaccurate by 2-3 PSI. If that is the case with the unit in this Evo then that would explain the high level readings. However you cant run over 19-20 with out a MBC at least OR a flash, OR full turbo back exhaust (since exhaust bumps boost levels up too)

Also the Evo has a pretty quick boost cut. It comes on after 21 PSI in cool weather. I used to hit mine all the time before my flash as the boost cut not nessassary untill a little higher boost levels. Most tuners disable it all together

Old 06-30-2008, 07:25 AM

Also stock the 03 and 04s have no active 2step the 05-06s do. So you could stop put the car in first and rev the motor. If it revs hhigher than 7k thenit still has no 2 step. A 2step is always added when the Ecu is flashed (if you get better than the basic flash which is pointless for the basic) So check if it has a 2 step as well

Old 06-30-2008, 09:31 AM

I honestly hate Evos and will not work on one. It is not a "specialty" shop. He tunes, he will not charge me anything, known him for over 4 years. I want him to take a look at it. What he says goes, I think that car is junk. Def does not seem to have the stock turbo, yet is slower than a stock Sti lol

Old 06-30-2008, 05:29 PM

I honestly hate Evos and will not work on one. It is not a "specialty" shop. He tunes, he will not charge me anything, known him for over 4 years. I want him to take a look at it. What he says goes, I think that car is junk. Def does not seem to have the stock turbo, yet is slower than a stock Sti lol
get your head out of your ***. Evos have been showing up suby's in the states since they came here lmao. It is not easy to get an STi past 12s where an Evo can on the stock turbo, hell stock turbo Evos are out there making over 400WHP. Lets not forget all on the stock bottom end where the wonderful STi has ringland issues at those levels.I promise you if that car has an aftermarket turbo and was setup properly it would kill a stock one STi. you do realize the stock STi is higher HP and Tqthan the Stock Evo? 03-04 Evos are the slowest factory Evos out we got stateside they have smaller hotsides on the turbo and run 4PSI less stock. The car isprob slow due to excesive amounts of boost and pulling timing.

Dont come here and talk **** if that is what your trying to do just because you "built your motor" yet you cant seem to tell what a I4 has for mods based on looking at it. I mean come on. the internet is a powerful animal somehow every one has something better right?

I am trying to help you out so leave the **** talking out of here because all it will do is go back and forth for no reason. IMO both cars are great cars well put together. the STi is a better car to cruise, the Evo is a better car to make fast what is the point of having bias opinions based on what you own? to be quick frank I could go on with how much better a supra is over both because that is what I own but who gives a **** really?

Old 06-30-2008, 08:15 PM

I am not coming on here to talk crap, if I were, you would know it. I am just stating that I do not like them. I go for reliability. If I wanna go fast, I have my 03/04 Cobra, 10 second car. The Subaru is a beater to drive the baby in. I told my sister not to get the car because she is someone that does not keep cars long and trades them in, it wont hold its value well past the mileage that it has not. I am not sure if Evo's have a td04 style turbo stock, if so, its not a stock turbo. I just don't want her to have a car that was messed with by some 18 year old kid and is going to blow up from running 25psi on pump gas. She would rather have the car stock, and so would I, for what she needs.

Old 06-30-2008, 09:36 PM

Td04 or Td05 are stock mitsu turbos. The stock Evo 8 Turbo in the 03 and 04s is a tdo5 (i belive) 16G 9.8T a Td04 if I am not mistaken is the T25 /13G type turbo which are ALOT smaller than the stock 8 turbos. Perhaps you are misreading the last number? Running 25PSI is not good obviously stock turbo or aftermarket. the car will absolutly be fine at 20-21 on pump it is an every day thing so lower it and that will be fine.

If you go for reliability the Evo is no chump. It is however a maintenance *****. there are plenty of 100k+ mile Evos with over 400HP on the stock bottom they can take the abuse as long as the owner takes care of the maintenance. They require Frequent tranny and Tcase flushes (every 6k miles) as the Tranny and T case are the weakest link in these car. I can tell you though my old Evo is now right around 500WHP running low 11s and is at the track almost weekly makeing multiple passes each time and it still kicking strong on the stock bottom, Stock Tcase, and Stock Tranny with a exedy twin disc clutch and only internal work at all is head studs and cams. Basically the car will be fine if you treat it the way it needs to be.

Now let me suggest a few things. Have a local Mitsu dealer research if in there records the 60k service was done. If not that car prob NEEDs plugs, def needs a T belt change. and all fluids flushed (esspecially the Drivetrain) at least I recommend it. Purchade a MBC if the car infact does not have one and turn the boost down and it should run perfect. The milage should not scare you on the Evo. I understand mitsu has a history of unreliable cars (esspecailly turbo sprots cars lol) but the Evo they did do right. beside the Tcase and tranny which are fine so long as the fluids get done

Old 06-30-2008, 09:55 PM

Only one problem, the dealer got the car 1 day before she bought it, and its 2 hours away. How can she get the records? Any way she can find out previous owner? I was asking about the td04 comparing it to a wrx stock turbo, I know different but should be similar, definitely WAY bigger than a stock turbo, a Subaru's anyway. If I look at the numbers will I be able to see them without anything blocking it? I will try to look tomorrow.

Old 07-01-2008, 02:47 AM
Banned

A) Nobody cares about your STi or Cobra.

B) Please stop being incredibly annoying trying to 1up EMonz57, you can't.

C) You don't know a single thing about EVO's, so when you are given advice and answers, TAKE THEM!

D) The STi motor is similar to a ****ing Beetle motor. They both have pistons and rods and all that good ****. Similar in any way shape or form...........NOPE!

E) The horizontally opposed engine in the STi is weak, and blows donkey *****. Thats El Facto!

Moral of the story is, when asking for free advice, don't bitch, berude, annoying, or any of the above. All of which you were doing FYI.

You don't know everything, infact if you knew much at all you wouldn't be here asking questions

So please, shut up.

Old 07-01-2008, 07:32 AM

Only one problem, the dealer got the car 1 day before she bought it, and its 2 hours away. How can she get the records? Any way she can find out previous owner? I was asking about the td04 comparing it to a wrx stock turbo, I know different but should be similar, definitely WAY bigger than a stock turbo, a Subaru's anyway. If I look at the numbers will I be able to see them without anything blocking it? I will try to look tomorrow.
The stock Evo turbo is very very large. Much bigger than the STi and WRX. The stock turbo does have 9.8 printed on it or 10.5 depending on the year of the car or is someone upgraded the hotside that is about it that I can remember from mine.

my stock vs 50trim. About the records from the dealer. If the service was done ever at any mitsu dealing in the past it will be on file so you can ask them to pull it up and just look to see. Other wise the only way to find out other owners is prob to run the VIN through a police officer or something (I have done it in the past myself actually)

Name:  floridapartycar_118.jpg
Views: 42
Size:  50.3 KB
Name:  floridapartycar_117.jpg
Views: 35
Size:  54.4 KB

Old 07-01-2008, 07:33 AM

obviously I have no heat shield on the top of the manifold

Quick Reply: 03 Evo, just bought yesterday, is this stock?