Mitsubishi Evolution For eight generations now, the Evolution has been the leading name in AWD performance, both on the road, and off.

03 Evo New Buyer (HELP)

Old 02-21-2009, 06:44 PM
Default 03 Evo New Buyer (HELP)

What are some common things to look for on the 03 Evo 8? It is still under warrenty with 59,500 miles and the warrenty is good until 70k. He said the engine had a factory problem so the warrenty covered it and it was replaced at the dealer with all documentation (19k on new engine). He has all service records. He says he owes 8k on it and he wants a new Evo X MR so he wants 13k for it.

Mod List:
Motor done by mitsubishi dealer. still under warranty.This Evo Runs and sounds Great. Has no problems. (CLEAN TITTLE, AND SMOG READY)VALID FOR 3 MONTHS!
CUSTOM WHITE PEARL paint. lexus is 250 paint (starfire pearl)
ING'S 4pc body kit and carbon fiber hood
TENZO 18in bronze rims with blue GORILLA lug nuts
TEIN lowering springs
Three gauge pod with. Boost,Exaust Temp, Oil press, Amber gauges.
Short antenna. Amber sidemarkers
POWER SLOT 4pc rotors
HKS full cat back & cat delete
HKS blow off valve
INJEN intake and innercooler pipping
GREDDY innercooler
MEGAN manifold and MEGAN o2 housing
HKS turbo timer
JDM black head lights with 10000k hids and JDM yellow fog light
rear MR tail lights black
Racing Clutch & Short Shifter
NOV.09 REGISTRATION
Mitsubishi WINDOW VISORS It also comes with all the factory stuff such as RECARO seats,BREMBO rotors. MOMO stirring wheel and everything else.
BLACK rear spoiler and diffuser, I also have all the stock parts that will be given with car. oil change every 3000 miles with mobil of course
super clean evo and very well taken care off.
any questions call me @ (619) 402-4959 !must see this great car!
Im asking for 13,000

The link:
http://sandiego.craigslist.org/csd/cto/1042400290.html

He is including all origional parts including exterior parts. I HATE BODY KITS, but it is not molded on so I can put the origional stuff on. He has everything but the front bumper.

Help, what do I look for on it when I go see it. I have a 99 spyder now so I am familiar with the eclipses but I have not done research on evos. I know EMONZ might have the best knowledge on this thanks.

Old 02-21-2009, 07:39 PM
Super Moderator

Does this have an upgraded turbo too? I mean it seems kinda weird to have alot of these mods without an upgraded turbo.

Old 02-21-2009, 09:31 PM

Originally Posted by TheEngineer
Does this have an upgraded turbo too? I mean it seems kinda weird to have alot of these mods without an upgraded turbo.
why does it seem weird? Stop posting stupid comments in the Evo section lol. First thing Id like to know is what happend to the motor. I had an 03 and it certainly did not have a motor defect from the dealer and I owned my car from 11,991 miles to 43,90X miles. I only had to warrenty the paint on the wind carbon fiber section and the paint on the Brembo calipers.

Also the factory warrenty is not up to 70k it is up to 60k. As for the car. I would be kind of leary of a car modded to the extent of this when the owner doesnt even give specifics like what clutch is in the car and what had to be replaced for the motor. If you test drive the car make sure the clutch is upgraded and holds the power hte car is making. Try to make a note to see what amount of boost the car is running , who tuned it, and on what type of gas. Also listen for tranny and T case whine. You will hear some in 1st and 2nd but it is not to loud and it goes away after 1-2. The HKS BOV is a POS and should be removed for something better. And The paint from what I can see on that car looks like a stock white Evo. So get a good look at it because I have a feeling it is factory WW paint

Old 02-22-2009, 02:17 AM

k so I went and drove it, I fell in love. The upgrades on the engine are about a month old (he had the receipts). He did tell me that the car has not been tuned, that he was going to tune it after his cams but he decided to get a new car instead. The engine went out (bent valves). The dealer tried to blame him for not maintaining it but he showed them the service records and they replaced is free of charge. He showed me all documentation of this. The paint is pearl white, it's NICE. AND IT IS THE STOCK TURBO running 17psi. I asked him about the clutch and he said it was an act and I asked for the receipt and he showed me it, he has a folder full of receipts with all from the same shop well known around here.

I know on eclipses it is bad to vent, is it bad to vent on evos? his hks bov is venting.

also he has a $2000 system. very nice. viper alarm as well.

He put the stock cat back on to smog it. Is it better to run a test pipe or a cat? I know the test pipe might help performance, but does it mess anything up?

Oh yeh, what whats wrong with the HKS BOV? and what should I replace it with?

How much do you think it is pushing with these mods without a tune? and how much with a tune?

Last edited by victim619; 02-22-2009 at 02:23 AM.
Old 02-22-2009, 07:42 AM

Sounds like an ok deal. At the current milage the car NEEDS the 60k service done asap. THe car also NEEDS a tune despratly.

THe HKS BOV sucks on DSMs and Evos. I ran it and the car didnt not run very good even when it was recirculated. I switched mine out with a APS duel port valve and that worked perfect and id recommend looking for one of those. And yes the Evo is like the DSMs and you really should NOT vent your BOV.

As far as your power it is not that much. 240 or so untuned. after your tuned you can run 20PSI and im sure you can make in the 300-330WHP range plus save on gas milage with a tune.

Old 02-22-2009, 11:35 AM

240??????? wow didn't realize that. Guess it would be a good thing to tune it haha. As far as the 60k service, what does it need? (I would lookin the owners manual, but I haven't bought the car yet) this is just so I know how much it's going to cost. As far as the tune, I'm going to Reese Tuning here in california, They are the best evo tuners out here and I can get a discount. The car does not have a MBC or EBC is it really necessary? Also, what about the test pipe?

EMONZ thanks a lot for helping me with this, your saving me a headache.

Old 02-22-2009, 11:51 AM
Banned

Are you sure about the 60k service Mike? It has a new motor.

Old 02-22-2009, 03:02 PM

New motor or not id still do it. When It comes to T belt on these cars or anything else I dont like to take anyones word for it.

Old 02-22-2009, 03:04 PM

Test pipe will get more power and louder exhaust. It also will draw the check engine light if you dont buy an o2 simulator. As far as EBC and MBC goes. I would pick up one and set the boost to 20PSI or so along with the tune.

Old 02-22-2009, 09:26 PM

60k service was done today. I asked him and he said he took care of it today, has the records for it. I hope its not to good to be true

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 03 Evo New Buyer (HELP)