Mitsubishi Evolution For eight generations now, the Evolution has been the leading name in AWD performance, both on the road, and off.

03 Evo New Buyer (HELP)

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2009, 10:41 PM
Banned

Dooozzz ittt!!!!

Old 02-22-2009, 11:07 PM

its evo time!!!!!!! whoop whoop tomorrow I get my loan and hopefully my baby

Old 02-24-2009, 02:37 PM

congrats - but personally I would've tried to find one stock...but at least he had the receipts documentation...still in awe that the car is still covered under warranty despite all of the mods...post pics when its yours

Old 02-25-2009, 10:47 PM

Been 2days and I get a small wine now when I'm braking, downshifting. To me it sounds like the break pads are going out but damn I hope it is not the T-case or tranny.....Everything was fine when I bought it and he even let me use it for a day with a deposit and I drove it everywhere. Nothing. As soon as I bought it, boom the squeeking started. Then today it started making thumping sounds from the driver and passenger side, I'm thinking it's the cat though because he was running a straight pipe, it sounds like exhaust is leaking through somewhere because I hit a bump (Not that hard) and I heard it hit my exhaust. He said he is willing to help me, he even is having his friend at the exhaust shop look at it tomorrow because he said that it never did that so will figure out what is wrong. How is the T-case and Tranny whine suppose to sound? and what causes it?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TXbisxnAW-s

It does not sound like that at all though...YAY! but I hope it's good.

Last edited by victim619; 02-25-2009 at 10:54 PM.
Old 02-26-2009, 07:47 AM

The Tcase should make some whine when in 1st and 2nd gear and reverse. Other than that you cant really hear it. You should try and video the sounds the car is making and post it up.

It most likely wont be the brakes if it happens when you are not hitting the brake pedal. as for the other issue do you think you have dead shocks? What suspension does it have?

Old 02-26-2009, 01:30 PM

I would've at least had some mechanic look at b4 u bought it...

Old 02-27-2009, 01:16 AM

Stock suspension with tein lowering springs. I drove my cousins Subaru Sti and it made the same sound, I guess it's because I never owned an AWD car so I was not use to it. It is a thump kinda sound when I drive slow on uneven roads. It has an exhaust leak, gaskets on the cat were bad, but he got me new ones and he gave me the test pipe. What do exhaust leaks usually do? I was driving it today and it felt like it lost a little bit of power, but the guy at the shop said to take it easy that I needed to replace the gasket that it was leaking more and more. So I'm thinking that did it.

Old 02-27-2009, 07:54 AM
Banned

You have nothing to worry about dude. Just get it done.

Old 02-27-2009, 09:16 AM

Originally Posted by victim619
Stock suspension with tein lowering springs. I drove my cousins Subaru Sti and it made the same sound, I guess it's because I never owned an AWD car so I was not use to it. It is a thump kinda sound when I drive slow on uneven roads. It has an exhaust leak, gaskets on the cat were bad, but he got me new ones and he gave me the test pipe. What do exhaust leaks usually do? I was driving it today and it felt like it lost a little bit of power, but the guy at the shop said to take it easy that I needed to replace the gasket that it was leaking more and more. So I'm thinking that did it.
Exhaust leaks will slow the car down slightly, but not where you will prob notice it.

As for the thump is very well may be the TEIN springs with the stock suspension. I highly recommend upgraded out of that setup. The tein springs SUCK on the Evo and I know from experience. All they do is destroy your shocks cause your tires (even stock) to rub on hard corners after a while and it actually makes the car handle worse.

If you cant break the bank and get a nice coilover setup (which I would recommend doing) then go with the stock MR Bilstein shocks and get somw swift lower springs and all will be well

Old 02-27-2009, 09:38 AM

Thanks for the advice, off to the junk yard to find an mr.

I just noticed a difference in spooling and I can hear the exhaust leak from the car. The exhaust shop inspected the whole car on the lift, they said it's the cat gasket, so here comes the test pipe.

I have an evo 9 mr fuel pump laying around, can I swap this on and if so will it help any?

Quick Reply: 03 Evo New Buyer (HELP)