Mitsubishi Evolution For eight generations now, the Evolution has been the leading name in AWD performance, both on the road, and off.

brake pads

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2007, 06:14 PM
Default brake pads

What’s up? Need help choosing a set of brake pads. (Other topics on brake pads were mostly about eclipses).
My brake light is on and the brake fluid is at its minimum. I took the car in to sears auto to have them check it since they are so close by. They did a brake evaluation and said it was $237 for everything, taxes, labor, and the pads. I don’t think I’m goanna go to them, me and one of my buddies are goanna change the brake pads ourselves.
What set of brake pads would perform well enough, yet last longer than stock? The car got 27K mikes.

Old 01-25-2007, 08:45 PM
Default RE: brake pads

the best pads are the originals.

anything else you get will NOT be as good. the brembos are best. they are also quite expensive.

Old 01-25-2007, 09:21 PM

The car got 27K mikes.
You might wanna ease up on that car if you chewed up the brakes at less than 30k [8D]

Old 01-26-2007, 01:29 AM

ORIGINAL: Manybrews

the best pads are the originals.

anything else you get will NOT be as good. the brembos are best. they are also quite expensive.
EVO brake pads SUCK BIG *****. I would NEVER buy them again. I went with Hawk pads and the life is already better and they dont dust like the horrile factory ones. Why do you think EVO pads only last like 10k miles half the time. one owners race them and drive hard so in most cases upgrade them is better

Old 01-26-2007, 10:18 AM

Yeah, do the brake change yourself, it's not hard at all. If you don't have the tools...go to autozone and rent theirs. You get your money back when you return it and you can keep them long enough to finish the job. I think the last time I rented tools there, I kept it for 2 weeks. You really just need a couple of sockets a rachet, a C clamp or some other tool to compress the pistons (use the old pads to help press them back)...oh and the tools to take your wheels off. If you're new at this, schedule in a 1/4 of a day...that's a huge window btw.
Anyway, that's why your brake fluid is low, don't top if off, just change the pads and if the fluid doesn't go back to the correct level, then top it off...and keep an eye on it.
As for pads...It seems to me that car makers that use name brand "stock" components use some non-name brand aftermarket stuff to keep cost down. Brembo brake pads shouldn't wear out that fast (aftermarket Brembo, not "stock" Brembo's). Come on, the Infinity system that came stock in the mid to high end Eclipse/Avenger trims suck, the speakers were paper and not like aftermarket Infinitiy's where they aren't, lol.
Anyway, I have a feeling that any aftermarket pad (performance pads) will last longer than the stock ones.
You can also go with ceramic pads over the organic...but I wouldn't do that unless you had slotted and/or drilled rotors. They will last longer on flat rotors because they don't have anything to "bite" down on or anything to bite down onto them and that's also why they don't dust the wheels as bad also(unless you have performance rotors). Blah, getting late, blabbering....

Old 01-26-2007, 10:51 AM

evo brake pads you dont even need to take the calipers out. you can pull the pin and slip in the new pads without takeing the caliper off.Im pretty sure I cant remember already lol

Old 01-26-2007, 11:41 AM

yo thanks for all the feedback, thats all the info I need to get started. I should have everything done by this weekend.

Old 01-28-2007, 12:11 AM

Another question about changing the brake pads. When you change them for the first time do you think the rotors should be turned?

Old 01-28-2007, 03:47 PM

I didnt... and most likly you should get ne rotors the EVO stock rotor get chewed up easily my are spent but I was to cheap to buy them yet