Mitsubishi Evolution For eight generations now, the Evolution has been the leading name in AWD performance, both on the road, and off.

drive train problems, HELP

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2008, 02:12 PM
Default drive train problems, HELP

i got a 04 mitsubishi evolution. Got major drive train problems. My sister took my car out to the store and hit a curb on her way home. the front passanger wheel completely broke off. when i got a new controll arm and put the car back together it doesn't drive. it feels like a blow clutch. the car will move when put in gear but it feels the clutch is slipping really bad. but when i come to a stop the clutch does not smell not evena little bit. plus when i'm letting go of the clutch pedal it only ingages right at the end. when the caris driven there is no cracking or clicking noises. plus it took thetransfer caseapart and it didnt have any broken teeth or strippied gears.PLEASE HELP!!!!!!! thanks

Old 01-07-2008, 05:28 PM
Default RE: drive train problems, HELP

what fluids did you use in the Diff and tranny? did you have the clutch adjusted to try that? or ry dropping the tranny and looking in and see what is going on. are you on a stock clutch.

How do you hit anything without really whaling into it and snap a wheel off? I hit a tall curb once and deff only bent a rim and got a flat. she must have killed what ever she hit.

Old 01-07-2008, 05:38 PM

i'm using dealer fluids, and i haven't taken the tranny of yet. i thought i could fix it with out dropping it. running a stock clutch. she ran into a center devider and the wheel was hit from the inside. the caliper, rotor, rim shattered into peaces. i mean it was bad. the control arm bent but didnt brake.

Old 01-07-2008, 06:29 PM

wow what was she doing racing to the store . Try adjusting the clutch . Mine kinda grabs in the middle / towards the top and grabs perfect. if ur clutch was slipping you'd smell it. but a good way to test it is put it in 3rd gear at low rpm going up a hill . once the boost kicks in and the car trys to pull if there is any clutching slipping you'll notice the rpms go up , but the mph doesn't.

Old 01-08-2008, 10:55 PM

thanks for the advice, but now that i drove the car aroung a little more i can seeits not the clutch. when drive in any gear the car will bereally move. but when i go past four thousand RPM the car ingages like it sapose to and pulls proparly. it will only pull how it sapose to when i'm in full boost.

Old 01-10-2008, 08:26 PM

it's your clutch, the car is under more stress when it's in low rpms because of the light load. DO the 5-40 test to make sure.

Put the car in 5th gear, and drive up to 40 mph. Then floor it, it should slip if it's the clutch. Let me know how it goes, if it's not that then i'll give you other suggestions

Gus

Old 01-11-2008, 12:26 AM

thats the problem, when i go in fifth gear at 40 miles and flore it the car doesn't accelarate until it gous past four thousand RPM. then it just takes of like crazy again.

Old 01-12-2008, 11:55 PM

then your clutch is absolutely burnt. It's time to change it. It's only engaging through the input shaft in high rpm. But dont worry, atleast it's not a gearing, or syncro issue.

Gus

Old 01-13-2008, 02:22 PM

thanks for your help guys, i took my clutch out and found that the pressure plate had so much durt and dust inside of it the pressure plate it wouln't ingage all the way. but i'm still changing the clutch, pressure plate, through out bearing, and the flywheel. all of them are burned really bad. well thanks again for your help everyone. I would never figured it out on my own. THANK YOU!!!!!!

Old 01-14-2008, 05:42 PM

ORIGINAL: ComposeEvo

then your clutch is absolutely burnt. It's time to change it. It's only engaging through the input shaft in high rpm. But dont worry, atleast it's not a gearing, or syncro issue.

Gus
What do u mean the input shafts only ingages after it hits high rpm. are you saying after high rpm the input shaft ingages directly with crank and doesn't use the clutch to hold the power?