Mitsubishi Evolution For eight generations now, the Evolution has been the leading name in AWD performance, both on the road, and off.

Getting 06 EVO 9 MR HELP!!

Old 01-28-2009, 02:05 PM
Default Getting 06 EVO 9 MR HELP!!

Im getting a 06 EVO mr and here are the previous owner mods:
Over 400HP turbo kit with larger front mount Intercooler,
Performance Clutch,
Greddy Boost control,
Greddy Steet Camshaft,
Greddy V-manage,
Blitz Turbo Timer,
HKS exhaust system,
Injen intake system

Can anyone help me with this? should i still do flash?can iadd a greddy BOV Type RS?
http://autos.yahoo.com/used-cars/mit...mp;distance=50

Above is the link of the car i am interested, please kindly advice and it is highly appreciated!

Old 01-28-2009, 05:26 PM
Default RE: Getting 06 EVO 9 MR HELP!!

Id look more. That is to expensive IMO and the parts you list as mods are way to vage. There are plenty of other IX's for a better price out there

Old 01-29-2009, 08:04 AM

Thanks. BTW what is vage? And how much would you pay for that? What if i really got the car do u think i should still go and get a flash? or a SAFC would help? Please help me because i am quite new in this car, i used to have a 92 Mit Galant VR4 and after reading a lot of threadand i knew i have screwed my VR4

Old 01-29-2009, 05:03 PM

Vague (SP?) is this
Over 400HP turbo kit with larger front mount Intercooler,
Performance Clutch,
Greddy Boost control,
Greddy Steet Camshaft,
Greddy V-manage,

First thing a 400HP turbo kit and lager FMIC means NOTHING. you need to know what FMIC and what Turbo is on the car. the stock IX turbo can make 400HP and the stock FMIC can be called large.

Performance clutch is next. this can mean a million different things good or bad. Some clutches are really bad for these cars and some clutches are great and some are cheap and some are like $3700.
Greddy cams MEANS ABSOLUTLY NOTHING. there are so many combos of cams out there just saying street cam means stock cams to me.
Greddy V manage? it is called the E manage and it is not popular to be used on the Evo seeing how the stock ECU can just be flashed and logged. So running a piggy back is really pointless.

Basically without knowing any of the exacts listed above that can mean the difference between and easy tune with good HP and saftey combined or having a motor go boom.

IMO I would NEVER even buy that car because of this stuff. If the owner of the car cant tell you this stuff that means it is in someones hands who has no clue how what they are doing. I would just find another one if it were me and wait for the right car at the right price.

Not only that but you can get a GSR for less $$ and an SE for the same. The is nice and the SE comes with all the same stuff as the MR except the 6spd tranny. The 6 spd is weaker than the 5spd and has more issues than the 5spd

Old 01-30-2009, 05:28 PM

OMG Emoz how could you know so much! Thanks alot and i think i will get a stock evo and start from there. BTW, actually as you can see im not that good at this, part of the reason i wanna change evo is because i like the feeling when turbo kicks in and the sound of the BOV. So can i just mainly change the intake magnifold (is it under the motor?) and the air intake (plus Greddy BOV) ill get the effect i want?

Old 01-31-2009, 12:12 AM

Ok I think based off of your last post you have ALOT to learn. Don't take that the wrong way. Ok for the feeling of the turbo kicking in and the sound of the BOV you do NOT need to touch the intake manifold. The car stock will have plenty enough kick. The intake manifold is located at the top of the engine bay. Basically if your looking at the motor is is the silver metal peice that is closest to the back under the strut tower brace. Rather than me getting to into explaining it you should just research it yourself along with how turbos work and how engines work.

As for the BOV sound again this is something you need some time to spend researching. There is alot that goes into picking a BOV for the Evo. Louder is def not better in the Evo's case. You need to have a Recirculatiing valve which means instead of the bov releasing the pressure out freely it dumps it back into the intake system. The reason why this is important is that the Evo's ECU meters air that the motor will recieve right from the intake system this meter is called a MAF or Mass air flow meter or sensor. Basically if you release the pressure out without dumping it back into the intake than the car will not run properly for a few seconds because the motor is not getting that air that the meter already counted. When a BOV is dumped back into the intake it will be alot quieter but you can still hear it very cleary if you buy and intake system.

I think the proper BOV for both you and the car would be something along the lines of a APS duel vent. Rather than the Greddy type S or RS. The Reason is the duel vent will do both. it dumps 80% or so into the intake and 20% or so gets released so the car will still run properly but you can get a slightly louder woosh than the stock BOV gives out

Old 01-31-2009, 07:28 AM

i definitely have alot need to learn. btw what would you recommend me to do when i 1st got the evo?

Old 01-31-2009, 11:13 AM

The first thing you should do is have all the fluids changed, oil, coolant, Tranny, T case, Rear Diff are the most important. As for mods, the first things you should do all depend on the year car. If you get a VIII then get an intake drop in or cone filter, get a JDM MR bov, boost controller, fuel pump, turbo back exhaust, and a ECU flash. That stuff on a VIII will get you around the 300WHP range.

For a IX you should get a Turbo back exhaust, intake drop in or cone filter, Boost controller and an ECU Flash. On the IX these mods should get you around 330WHP

Old 01-31-2009, 11:38 AM

Any particular brand you would recommend on the mods on the evo9 for each mod(price is the major concern too)?

Old 01-31-2009, 12:14 PM

Dont buy cheap parts that is all. Any brand like HKS,Greddy, Buschur, AMS ect are great. Ebay stay away

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Getting 06 EVO 9 MR HELP!!