Mitsubishi Evolution For eight generations now, the Evolution has been the leading name in AWD performance, both on the road, and off.

GT30R turbo upgrade. what do i need to support?

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2009, 09:00 AM
Default GT30R turbo upgrade. what do i need to support?

So i have decided enough with the bolt ons and i am planning on upgrading my turbo to a 30R by spring. I like the 30R cuz its a medium sized turbo and i dont want much spool lag but dont want to lose much power so i think thats a good size. My question is if i get the turbo kit what else should i be adding to my car to support the turbo. Currently i have: fuel pump, 3" exhaust, intake, bov, ACT extreme clutch, licp, and greddy boost controller. I was told i will need injectors and cams. If possible i would like to stay away from the cams for now unless it is a must for a turbo upgrade. I would also like to know how much u think this will run me with the shop charges. thanks

Old 01-21-2009, 05:09 PM
Banned
Default RE: GT30R turbo upgrade. what do i need to support?

What brand of turbo are you going with?

Yes cams will help you on the top end. Why stay away from cams?

Here is what I would do:

Make sure you have changed ALL fluids, ALL belts, and all that good shizzle before you do anything. Make sure you have good compression numbers and have no current mechanical issues.

Data logger
800cc Injectors or there abouts.
DSMLink v3
272 Cams
SMIM
o2 Housing and o2 dump
External wastegate
Exhaust manifold
Full exhaust
FMIC
Intake
MBC
Motor Mounts
Good recirculatable BOV
Boost gauge
Wideband Gauge

You are bound to be making some good power with that setup, so if you want to run any kind of significant boost, you might wawnt to go forged internals and built head.

Old 01-22-2009, 08:17 AM

sebba you dont NEED half of that crap in your list.

YOu do not need cams, you do not need DSMlink or a logger. You can just get tractrix cable and log on a laptop and you can have the ecu flashed for a tune. I would do head studs. cams are not needed but they will add alot more power.

YOu need 800s at least and a 255lph pump for sure.

Old 01-22-2009, 09:57 AM

ok well i already have the 255 fuel pump and for now i was thinking i could get away with injectors, fmic, and turbo.
i have been talking to alot of people and i was told i should just go with the 35r right away cuz the price is close and it will support high boost much better. i would like the ams turbo kit but it is so damn expensive wat would you guys say is the best bang for your buck as far as turbo kits go for evos?

Old 01-22-2009, 10:04 AM

oh and i dont want the cams for now because i dont have the money for everything right away and then when i have the money i would like do headstuds, cams, and meth injection. With installing the turbo, injectors, and fmic, could i do it myself and save some money and then just take it to a shop and have them tune it? i would like to keep the project at about 6K.

Old 01-22-2009, 04:39 PM

Well if you want to go fast for less forget the turbo kit. Look into buying a FPred. It is a stock apprearing turbo but it supports well over 500WHP on race gas. and can make as much as a 50trim on pump. Looking at 400 or so on just pump gas. They are cheaper and bolt up to the stock mani and o2. Or is you wanted you could pick up a sweet megan tubular mani and o2 from ebay for short change and have it look like a nice turbo upgraded kit too maybe then you could afford to spend a few $$s on head studs and other important things.

I would do head studs with all this other stuff it is a saftey precaution. they are dirt cheap anyway.

You could install a turbo and FMIC and injectors yourself it is easy work but you NEED a tune before you can even drive the car under boost.

Now for a layout

FMIC =$600 if you go high end
Turbo FPred = $1800
Injectors = $350? less not sure?
Flash = $600 or so depending who does it.

of course other odds and ends will pop up but still

Old 01-22-2009, 07:32 PM
Banned

I was stating what would be most efficient.

You may not deem them to be a necessity but I do. That is a matter of opinion. I sure as hell wouldn't have extensive mods without a datalogger, and if you ever want to change the setup slightly, you don't want to be tied down with a flash, when you could just mess with a laptop on the passenger seat.

Yeah I forgot about the fuel pump...

If you want the setup to be as power efficient as possible, what I listed is appropriate. You can skim off things like the intake manifold, and the exhaust manifold, o2 housing, and cams, but you won't be making as much power.

If you want to cut corners, be my guest, but I sure as hell wouldn't put a large turbo on a motor with a lot of miles without knowing EXACTLY whats going on, and taking every precaution. Lots of miles + big turbo and big power = problems.

Old 01-22-2009, 08:44 PM

Your all over the damn place sebba. He is not building a car for 700HP. an intake mani is def unnessassary, datalogger is as well. I agree not to skimp when modding however, Evos can be made very reliable without needed a whole lot of crap. It is not a DSM. people run 600HP cars on flashes and FYI tractrix cable is used to open your ECU so you can log if you would like or flash it yourself it is also only like $90 not only that but if you dont feel like doing that you can program the Evo ecu to flash the CEL when it reads Xcounts of knock *its kinda dumby proof esspecially with a wideband. Cams are not needed to run the turbo nor will it affect the reliability of the car with or without them.

All that asside. If I were to go back to the Evo world I would def take a differant route than I did when modding. I went with a big expensive turbo kit that ruined the car IMO. The power was great but the way it ran and sounded made it not worth it at all. When for half of the cost I could have went FPred or FPgreen and been in the same ballpark with power and have the car still sound good and run like stock. The FPred is an amazing turbo that people have ran 9s with and it is a stock 'appearing' turbo. Megan o2's and exhaust mani's are great upgrade btw and they are not expensive.

The thing I relized is that I spend probably around $10k and got a car that would make 400WHP on pump. The FP red allows the same results on pump and out does the 50trim on meth or race gas. People do make over 500WHP on a red turbo. The Red turbo also only costs $1800 where a 50trim kit like mine was $5000 new. So after adding a few other good toys to the red you will be FAR better off than with the 50trim or 30r IMO. Plus you keep your car more like a sleeper since it will not sound terribly loud and under the hood will still look relitivly stock for cali guys that is a big deal

While I do agree your list will not hurt and it only helps to take advantage fully of the setup, half of it is still not needed. You can run a 50trim or FPred without half of that stuff you just wont make the WHP that others do. Half of your list is included with a turbokit usually otherwise I agree things like a Exhaust mani and o2 housing are important if you run a setup like the Red. Not needed but with the money saved on not picking up a expensive kit you can easily budget for it. Headstuds are more important than cams IMO.

Old 01-22-2009, 09:50 PM
Banned

Damnit..... I thought this was a DSM...... I hate life

Old 01-23-2009, 12:00 AM

ok you guys im sorry i should have mentioned what my goals are for when i am done with the car. right now i am sitting at 300whp and when i am done, which may take 2 more years cuz of the money issue i would like to end up with 500whp with a good safe setup. I planned on doing this project in two halves. this year i wanted the 30 or 35r, injectors, fmic and headstuds (which i relized would be a good investment for the money right away). I was thinking i could safly run 400whp off of that. the following year i would like to do cams and meth injection and with a good tune i was hoping to hit 500whp. so with that being said i would like to stick with the 30 or 35r because that would support 500hp best for when i am done. I no for this year if i do the turbo it wont be running as efficient as it could be but im setting myself up for when i am completly done with the car. I also hear from alot of other people i should just go with the bigger turbo right away cuz it will supoort the high boost better and for what my plans are it is the best size.

Also if i would decide to install all this myself would a shop allow me to haul it in by trailer and just have them tune it. is the car even drivable at all even if you take it real easy?

Quick Reply: GT30R turbo upgrade. what do i need to support?