Mitsubishi Evolution For eight generations now, the Evolution has been the leading name in AWD performance, both on the road, and off.

just got an 05 evo, got questions.....

Old 08-22-2006, 07:37 PM
Default just got an 05 evo, got questions.....

Whats up guys, I just had a few questions on this car, first off I've never owned a turbo car before so that goes to the first question, what is the normal break in period of the car and startup and cool down steps??? I owned a supercharged car and never had to do all the stuff claimed the turbo cars have to do. Im kinda new to the evo's but I kinda wanna know if I got ripped off, I got the car for $21,500 OTD with 2000miles on it, it has never been wrecked or anything, no scratches. I checked car max and all the info came out clean. OK next, is there anything I have to be extra careful on in this car?? When I shift I like to kinda shift hard through the gears instead of smooth shifts, is this ok? My last car was an auto, with the shift kit in it , it always shifted hard. I know I hear alot about the TC so I start off smooth but then shift hard. Is the TC covered on the warranty if something were to happen?? Thanks guys hopefully you guys can help me out, and I'd like to say Im happy to be an evo owner now after all the stories I heard about them.

Old 08-22-2006, 08:19 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: just got an 05 evo, got questions.....

WOW!!! 21,500 on an evo 9 with only 2000 miles. That is a deal and a half. Congrats. Yes the TC in those cars have been known to go but you can eisily have no problems with it. One of the causes for it to go is excesive launching of the car. By that i mean reving it and just dropping the clutch, and doing this a good amount of times. It should be covered under warranty. However, the kid around here that had his break, he went to the dealer to have it fixed and they tryed to deny it because they had photos of his car at the track. And for keeping the turbo good, its always a good idea to let the car run for about 30 sec before shutting it off after you've just been beating on it.

Old 08-22-2006, 08:50 PM

I think you got an Evo 8 with 20,000 mi on it for $21,500 right...not an Evo 9. Well, I haven't had my Evo for very long (since Mar. 06) so I can't tell you much about long term mechanical problems but I can't tell you they're a blast to drive.

Old 08-22-2006, 09:16 PM

Its an 2005 evo 8 not a evo 9 sorry for the confusion, the car only had 2000 miles on it when I bought it last saturday yes two thousand, and yes it is definately fun to drive everywhere.

Old 08-22-2006, 09:26 PM
Super Moderator

that was a typo on my part oops

Old 08-22-2006, 11:18 PM

ok i kno this has nothing to do with whats goin on, but i didnt wanna start a new post, but say you put brand new evo 9 up aganist a brand new STI overall which would be faster and handle better? cuz ive heard people say that the STI is wayyyy better than the evo but i just cant belive it so whats yalls opnions?

Old 08-22-2006, 11:34 PM

I've been reading around in different threads and I was reading about the whine that you get when you drive, I seen that if your car whines in all the gears your tc is just about shot, is this true?? Whats the normal amount of whine that everyone gets?? When I drive mine I get it mainly in first and second if im low in the rpm range, is this normal?? I wanna just make sure its ok cause if its not suppose to be like that I'll go to mitsubishi and have them fix the problem.

Old 08-23-2006, 09:50 AM
Super Moderator

that whine is normal.

And for the STI vs Evo 9 the STI may be a little quiker stock for stock, and by allitle i mean like a couple tenths of a second in the 1/4 mile but from what ive heard the evo has way better handling than the STI.

Old 08-23-2006, 10:59 AM

ORIGINAL: TheEngineer

that whine is normal.

And for the STI vs Evo 9 the STI may be a little quiker stock for stock, and by allitle i mean like a couple tenths of a second in the 1/4 mile but from what ive heard the evo has way better handling than the STI.
EVO IX is faster than the STi

05 EVO is the same in the 1\4 as the STi

04/03 EVOs are slower

EVOs has better handling and is more fun to drive.

Like I said I met a kid at a mitus dealer leaving in an EVO IX he just traded his moded STi and said to me "this car is so much more fun to drive its faster than my STi and its stock, im glad I got rid of it"

Old 08-23-2006, 11:38 AM

Emonz is right as far as what the magazines say, the 06 Evo IX is faster than the 06 STI. I've never seen a race so I can't tell from first hand experience.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: just got an 05 evo, got questions.....