Mitsubishi Evolution For eight generations now, the Evolution has been the leading name in AWD performance, both on the road, and off.

quick clutch question

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2007, 04:42 PM
Default quick clutch question

I've been doing research as far as what type of clutch would work well as a replacement from stock. Exedy clutches seem to be really popular for high horse power applications, but would u guys recommend an Exedy stage 1 as a good replacement from stock? Or what would work well as a simple upgrade? I’m not planning to run extremely high horse power right now, and by high HP, I’m assuming 400+. Currently I’m at 287 at the wheels and I’m assuming I don’t need a really powerful clutch, so would an exedy stage 1 be ok? any advice would be appreciated. thanks

Old 09-17-2007, 05:56 PM
Banned
Default RE: quick clutch question

The exedy stage 1 i believe is the stock. Try one up : )

Old 09-17-2007, 06:25 PM

Go For the exedy Twin disc. it will hold what you want it to and its good on the drivetrain

Old 09-17-2007, 06:26 PM

ORIGINAL: Mike21

I've been doing research as far as what type of clutch would work well as a replacement from stock. Exedy clutches seem to be really popular for high horse power applications, but would u guys recommend an Exedy stage 1 as a good replacement from stock? Or what would work well as a simple upgrade? I’m not planning to run extremely high horse power right now, and by high HP, I’m assuming 400+. Currently I’m at 287 at the wheels and I’m assuming I don’t need a really powerful clutch, so would an exedy stage 1 be ok? any advice would be appreciated. thanks
Ifthe clutch is goingto see lotsof drag time and abuseat the track/street then go with an Exedy. However, if you aren't planning above 400 horsepower and the car is going to see an occasional drag race then go with the ACT clutch because it's more streetable yet still has great holding power. I love mine and have heard nothing but good reviews on it from others.

Old 09-17-2007, 07:13 PM

yes but the ACT also is famous for the tranny gear lock out at 7500RPMs and above. so if you mod the car enough and up the rev limiter to 7800 like most people do on a stock motor with a flash you wont get into gear at those RPMs and on launches they tend to abuse drivetrains alittle harder

Old 09-18-2007, 02:10 AM

I knew Exedy made the stock clutch but I had no idea it was labled as their stage 1 forEvo's! nice

ORIGINAL: Sebba

The exedy stage 1 i believe is the stock. Try one up : )

Old 09-18-2007, 02:12 AM

Yeah I'll go look into that right now, but u definately do understand my issue. If I go with an extremely powerful clutch it would be rough on my drivetrain and thats what I'm trying to avoid.

ORIGINAL: EMonz57

Go For the exedy Twin disc. it will hold what you want it to and its good on the drivetrain

Old 09-18-2007, 02:19 AM

I talked to a few people who had the ACT and they all had good things to say but the wasn't driving Evo's. I'll check out the ACT and do a bit more reasurch on it. Have you every experienced the tranny lock out issue Emonz was talking about?

ORIGINAL: XTREME

Ifthe clutch is goingto see lotsof drag time and abuseat the track/street then go with an Exedy. However, if you aren't planning above 400 horsepower and the car is going to see an occasional drag race then go with the ACT clutch because it's more streetable yet still has great holding power. I love mine and have heard nothing but good reviews on it from others.

Old 09-18-2007, 07:31 AM

I talked to a few people who had the ACT and they all had good things to say but the wasn't driving Evo's. I'll check out the ACT and do a bit more reasurch on it. Have you every experienced the tranny lock out issue Emonz was talking about?

ORIGINAL: XTREME

FOG had tranny lock... He has a ACT. brought hte car to turbotrix had the tranny replaced with a race tranny and the clutch rebuilt so yea they fixed it but I honestly belive it was all the clutch the Tranny was un nessassary.

Just go to EvoM search Tranny lock out youll see. ACT is the big on that does it. there are others and this is one of the reason everyone like the twin disc and the twin disc is better on the drivetrain because it is more cusion with 2 discs

Old 09-18-2007, 08:59 AM

No, I haven't experienced any king of tranny lockout with the ACT clutch at any rpms.If you go to other Evo websites you'll see for the street the ACT clutch is preferred for street/strip where the Exedy is more for the weekend racer and seriousabuse. If your Evo is a daily driver go with the ACT and you'll be a happy camper. However, if you decide to mod your car later on to the 450 - 500 horsepower then you'll want to think about an Exedy because your power curve will most likely be higher to achieve that target horsepower range.

Quick Reply: quick clutch question