Mitsubishi Evolution For eight generations now, the Evolution has been the leading name in AWD performance, both on the road, and off.

take-off question

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2006, 05:18 PM
Default take-off question

whats up guys, need a lil info about launching. I know this has been discussed but I need to know if i'm doing it right. yesterday I got my first official victory against a mustang GT. We both launched at a light and I jumped about two cars ahed of him and of course pulled away alot more into the race. I basically held the RPM's at 5k then feathered the clutch. I didn't cherp or spin any of the wheels. Now I've seen evo's that spun all four at launch, spun the front wheels, and even cherped all four wheels at launch, are those techniques bad for the clutch/trans/T-case?? Check out this video with the mustang and evo, the evo didn't seem to do any excessive spinning or cherping of the wheels. Is this a good example of the way to properly launch, cause thats how I launched yesterday against GT. http://videos.streetfire.net/hottest...cc7f13f5a2.htm

Old 08-29-2006, 07:03 PM
Default RE: take-off question

You'll hear different preferences from different people on how to launch your Evo but what you did was good. The only thing to avoid is totally dumping the clutch because transfer cases are expensive. Me personally, I try to have the engine revving "up" when launching because your turbo is spooling at this point. Then I slowly let out the clutch continuously even after I feel the grab for a second or two. Once there is a grab for a second or two I quickly let the clutch out the rest of the way. So how far did you beat the Mustang GT by? ...oh, your link isn't working right now.

Old 08-29-2006, 07:14 PM

I was approximately two and a half cars ahed of him at the launch, then pulled on him about 4 cars. I think I could have pulled on him even more if I kept going.

Old 08-29-2006, 07:20 PM

Nice Kill.....look forward to many more!!! [sm=signs007.gif]

Old 08-30-2006, 11:46 AM
Super Moderator

Sounds like the right way to launch awd to me. And for the ones that spin all the tires, they must be heavily modded to do that.

Old 08-30-2006, 10:48 PM

ORIGINAL: TheEngineer

Sounds like the right way to launch awd to me. And for the ones that spin all the tires, they must be heavily modded to do that.
no they just need to drop the clutch hard

Old 09-04-2006, 11:08 AM

Yeah, I think it has a lot to do with how hard you drop the clutch because this chick that lives in the area drops the clutch (on her Evo) so hard and at such high RPM's that the front Enkei's immediately go in a spin searching for traction. I know if she launches any higher with the combination of dropping the clutch, she’s bound to spin all four. More power with would definitely make all four spin too though!

ORIGINAL: EMonz57

ORIGINAL: TheEngineer

no they just need to drop the clutch hard