Mitsubishi Evolution For eight generations now, the Evolution has been the leading name in AWD performance, both on the road, and off.

Turbo upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2007, 09:13 AM
Default Turbo upgrade

In the near futureI plan on purchasing the following parts:

AMS Intercooler
AMS Lower IC pipe
Walbro Fuel Pump
HKS Fuel Rail
Ported Exhaust Manifold
02 Housing
Turbo
Fuel Injectors

Now, I'm really not sure about which turbo to get or what size fuel injectors to purchase with this setup and the parts I already have installed. I'm currently am stuck between the 50 trim turbo and the FP green turbo. I've heard good things about both turbos and am looking for a reason to go with one or the other. As for thefuel injectors I'm not sure where to start on which ones I would need. I have seen 1000cc injectorsand heard 750cc injectors would plenty on the setup I'm looking to go with. Anybody have any advice or recommendations feel free...

Old 08-10-2007, 10:48 AM
Default RE: Turbo upgrade

I went with the 50trim. I love it. I am also using 720cc injectors. The reason I say get the 50trim is later down the road when you want more it is as simple as swaping the turbo because a 35r will likly bolt in place to the 50trim. where as the green is basically stock and would then need everything upgraded later.

If you plan on getting a turbo kit do yourself a favor and dont buy a lower IC pipe from AMS or a ported stock manifold or an o2 housing. only because the 50trim kit comes with all that stuff and all of it is an upgrade from stock so you would be waisting your money buying all that stuff just to have to remove and and replace it.

Old 08-10-2007, 03:07 PM

Emonz, a few questions....

Where did you purchase your 50 trim turbo kit?
Have you found out where your shift point is with this new turbo (what rpm's the power drops off considerably)?
When you installed the cams did you replace the valve springs and install better head bolts?

I saw your quarter mile videos and your times were low 12's without a tune....awesome!! Where do you fair against your friend's blue twin turbo mazda now?

Old 08-10-2007, 04:21 PM

ORIGINAL: XTREME

Emonz, a few questions....

Where did you purchase your 50 trim turbo kit?
Have you found out where your shift point is with this new turbo (what rpm's the power drops off considerably)?
When you installed the cams did you replace the valve springs and install better head bolts?

I saw your quarter mile videos and your times were low 12's without a tune....awesome!! Where do you fair against your friend's blue twin turbo mazda now?
I have a turbotrix 50trim kit. it uses the ball bearing version wiht hte .63 a\r. I did not do valve springs. just ARP headstuds with the cams. The power band of this turbo is enough to surpass what your motor can rev too. I was shifting my car at like 7700-7900 at the track and the car never slowed up at all. And FOGs old dyno sheet on his old 50trim (which is now mine) showed that the power band never dropped even at all once it hit boost. I heard on an IX the 50trim spools very close to stock like as well. My car is tuned but only mail in so it is being killed on power from it. I should runn 11.8 at 119 ish but I was only hitting 12.3 at 114. your car shouldprollydo better.

as for the RX-7 it is not twin turbo he upgraded to single. and yea we are pretty even as of right now but well see what happens after I work on my tune

Here are the pics incase you havent seen them

https://mitsubishiforum.com/m_157564/tm.htm

Old 08-12-2007, 10:45 AM

I have to agree with Emonz.. The 50 trim was a fast, reliable set up. When driven normally, you couldn't even tell the car was modded, except for a little more tailpipe noise. But when you jumpped on it, it was a beast!!!! Emonz's setup on my car made 475AWHP and 476 AWTQ. I have since upgraded to the turbotrix HP 66 turbo and everything needed to support it. The car made 624AWHP and 512 AWTQ. But so far it has not been as reliable as the 50 trim was. I am going to pick it up from TTrix this week. Hopefully we have all the bugs worked out. In all honesty, the problems were traced to the SMC alky kit going bad and not the turbo setup. I suppose that if I stayed with the 50 trim, I would have had the same problems if the alky kit went bad. I cant wait to get her back !!!

Old 08-12-2007, 03:36 PM

Emonz, you're not running an alky kit right now...correct? Your quarter mile pass on video with your new setup is pump gas and no special type of injection (ex. water, alky..etc.)...right? Also,F.O.G.saidthat your setup onhis Evo made 475whp which is over the 500hp limit for the stock bottom end. Are you making the same horsepower numbers as F.O.G. and therefore over the 500hp limit for the stock bottom end?

Old 08-12-2007, 06:54 PM

Emonz, you're not running an alky kit right now...correct? Your quarter mile pass on video with your new setup is pump gas and no special type of injection (ex. water, alky..etc.)...right? Also,F.O.G.saidthat your setup onhis Evo made 475whp which is over the 500hp limit for the stock bottom end. Are you making the same horsepower numbers as F.O.G. and therefore over the 500hp limit for the stock bottom end?
No FOG was on meth I am on 93 pump. the bottom end can handle like 530WHP daily my car when tuned right will make like 420hp to the wheels. my 1/4 times are alot slower than they should be as were FOGs on his old 50trim setup. But driver error and mechanical error and tuning is at fault between the 2 of us.

The 50trim is known to be the best daily street turbo. It will not surpass what the bottom can handle

Old 09-15-2007, 04:09 PM

Emonz, I'm still hitting around the 50trim or FP green turbo. On another thread you said you were having some problems with the 50trim turbo being a good daily driven turbo. What kind of problems are you experiencing?

Old 09-15-2007, 04:14 PM

Emonz, I'm still hitting around the 50trim or FP green turbo. On another thread you said you were having some problems with the 50trim turbo being a good daily driven turbo. What kind of problems are you experiencing?
No problems at all. The drive and runs awsome. The 50trim is awsome. The only thing I dont like is that the clutch is tough to use some times in traffic and stuff and the car is rediculously loud and the Cams dont like letting the car idle when you come off the clutch without the gas. You need to burn up the clutch a little more in 1st gear

Old 09-15-2007, 04:14 PM

So basically things that no matter which you choise youll have to deal with

Quick Reply: Turbo upgrade