Mitsubishi Evolution For eight generations now, the Evolution has been the leading name in AWD performance, both on the road, and off.

Vin decoding

Old 03-24-2009, 03:29 PM
Default Vin decoding

Well I am about to pick up my first evo in the next few months. I haven't picked one up due to just wanting to shop for the right one. I don't want to rush out. This is my first real stock car that I will be purchasing. I have had an integra on spray, and a NA ek9 that ran 13s which was pretty fast for a honda. But comfort wise it sucked.

So now that im shopping for a car, ive read a few tutorials on how to tell differences of the evo 8 and 9's. I want to purchase a white, or gray 2006 MR but most of the listings on Autotrader, and other car websites are not very telling. And when you call the salesperson they can barely tell you what it is.

But I know that you can decode the vin to tell you if its an MR or not. I know to look for the BBS rims, the generator, and the middle decal on the center console where there shifer is when i look at the images.

So in my search for the perfect MR, is there any way you can decode the vin liek is there a specific number in there that shows you that its an MR? other then the subtle differences.

Other then the rims, vortex generator, (BTW no one on autotrader lists it as a 6speed though some of the ads, say MR but thats liek 1 or 2 out of like 50 postings.) And the middle decal that say: Lancer Evolution MR near the ALUMINUM shift ****. Though some pics show different.

liek this ad for instance, i even called them and they told me its an MR:

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.js...standard=false

Noticve no center bandge and the leather shift ****

No shark fins

No bbs rims

So this is obviously not an MR, but the salesguy even hung up and said hed check for me, and eh called back saying it is. So im really confused.

Any help would be appreciated.

Old 03-25-2009, 06:42 AM
Super Moderator

I wouldnt want that evo because of the mods its already got. Even if it is an MR. Just out of curiosity, why do you just want an MR? Just for the 6spd?

Old 03-25-2009, 07:36 AM

Pretty much. Even if i found a mint 2006 GSR doesnt matter its all about pricing. But i looked at it this way. Most GSRs go for 23-25k with roughly 30k miles on em.. the MR goes for that same price. And in the future .. if the tranny do brake i can reconvert to 5speed.

Old 03-26-2009, 08:12 PM

It is not an MR. IX was the only year they offered the GG color in both MR and GSR. You can tell it is a GSR by the shifter alone. The MR has the 6spd.. that we all know, ok well the 6spd also has a reverse lockout collar on it which in the pics above it does not.

Name:  mitsubishi-lancer-evolution-shifter.jpg
Views: 371
Size:  32.8 KB

just under the actual **** is the collar. you can see it requires you to lift the collar in order to be able to move the ****er all the way over to reverse

BTW the MR's 6spd tranny sucks. you be spending even more after you pay the hyped up MR price tag just to repair or replace the tranny. Hell alot of MR guys just swap out the 6spd for the GSR 5spd..... go figure

Last edited by EMonz57; 03-26-2009 at 08:21 PM.