Mitsubishi Evolution For eight generations now, the Evolution has been the leading name in AWD performance, both on the road, and off.

what exactly is flash? and SPAFC

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2006, 02:10 AM
Default what exactly is flash? and SPAFC

i hear alot of people say you can do computer work, and improve the cars performance. and everyone always says go get flash, and SAFC...but i wanna know in detail! what the hell is it! please explain..im a newbie when it comes to computer work in cars....

<---old muscle head

thanks!.

and sorry for asking such dumb questions

GUs<---

Old 11-08-2006, 03:22 AM
Default RE: what exactly is flash? and SPAFC

if you get a flash you do not need a safc. If you want to flash your car you need a datalogging program(Evo Scan v0.97), and obd2 port cable, and a laptop to log your car. After logging your car, you send your logs to the tuner you pick to tune your car( i recommend jestrtuning because i heard only great things about them). The tuner will then tweak your stock ecu maps with your current mods and try to get the safest setting and most power out of your car. and you live in florida which is home to jestr tuning and ttp-engineering.

or you can go the emonz way and be nasty with a s-afc and tune your car your way.

Mike

Old 11-08-2006, 10:42 AM

If you get a flash it is only good for your current mods... If you add any more mods after you will need a new flash if you want the most power and safest tune. So I always say if you dont want to keep paying for reflashes I would flash then buy an SAFC for the little tweaks here and there if you add any mods. A flash is far more effective and a SAFC. a Flach can turn up your boost without a boost controller and can tune timing maps as well as fuel and it can eleiminate fuel cut. Fuel cut is a pain in the *** I still get it and my car is running totally safe. The SAFC only tricks your ECU into beliving it is getting less air into the motor and by tricking it the ECU automaticlly subtracts fuel out basically since you are not taking air away your just making it think it isnt there it takes fuel out to go along with the lesser amount of air it thinks it is seeing and the ratio ends up changed because it is realistically getting the same air as before but now less fuel. The SAFC will cause timing to change and the car be more able to cause knock which can be bad for your motor, My car has had no trouble and most people have no problems Just make sure you know what your doing thats all

Either way the biggest change with either is the air to fuel ratio from the factory they run like 9.8 which is INSANLY rich which means it is super safe but bad for power and gas milage, after tuning depending on your location and mods you will be around a 11.3 air\fuel which is just about optimal for 93 pump gas. at that point you will feel the power gain which is in most cases 20-30 AWHP and it makes a huge difference and you will also see your gas tank last llonger. Stock you get around 200 miles to a tank (best I ever got was 207) after you will average 250 miles to a tank and best I got after tuning with the SAFC was 300 on the highway.

Old 11-09-2006, 11:32 AM

ahh I understand....now I'm in the miami area..where EXACTLY..can I go..to get it tuned...and how much would it cost...

and how much does the SAFC cost?

thanks!
GUs<---

oh..and does this void warranty?...I mean I know my service adviser personally. so it doesn't matter...but still?

Old 11-09-2006, 01:44 PM

ORIGINAL: ComposeEvo

ahh I understand....now I'm in the miami area..where EXACTLY..can I go..to get it tuned...and how much would it cost...

and how much does the SAFC cost?

thanks!
GUs<---

oh..and does this void warranty?...I mean I know my service adviser personally. so it doesn't matter...but still?
It can void the warrenty and chances are it will if there is visual evidence. I just hide my SAFC when my car goes in and so far so good. The Re flash has no visual evidence I think if they plug into the obdII they can tell though.

SAFCII costs $310 new I paid $100 for mine off of a 3G eclipse owner... I actuall owned it origanally and sold it with my old 3G and then 3 years later bought it back from him.

I think Jestrtuning is in orlando they do drive outs to areas I lived in tampa for a while and met a few of those guys and chatted with them in clearwater which is tampa st. pete. area they do a drive out and get a list of people who they are going to tune and then set each person in time frames like an appoinment and they street tune your car.

So I would go on there website and see if they have anyone coming into tampa anytime soon if not I belive they do mail ins... so you can just mail in your ECU and tell them you exact mods and what boost you want in the end and they will tune your car to the proper specs and get you better gas milage and about 30AWHP to be gained

Old 12-02-2006, 12:21 AM

Getting custom tuned on a dyno helps. I gained 39 awhp and 51 awtq with just a full 3" TBE and boost set at 21psi. Also, have heard great feedback about Jestr. Got mine tuned locally by MZM.

Old 12-02-2006, 01:42 PM

You don't have to go somewhere to get your car flashed. There are companies that you mail your ECU to and they will send it back the next day. All they require is a list of the modifications you made to your car so they can properly flash the ECU. Three good companies are Vishnu (www.vishnutuning.com), DynoFlash (www.dynoflash.com) and WORKS (www.worksevo.com). I have the WORKS P2R flash because they allow the ECU to control boost whereas Vishnu and DynoFlash bypass the ECU with a boost control.

Old 12-03-2006, 02:46 AM

ORIGINAL: XTREME

You don't have to go somewhere to get your car flashed. There are companies that you mail your ECU to and they will send it back the next day. All they require is a list of the modifications you made to your car so they can properly flash the ECU. Three good companies are Vishnu (www.vishnutuning.com), DynoFlash (www.dynoflash.com) and WORKS (www.worksevo.com). I have the WORKS P2R flash because they allow the ECU to control boost whereas Vishnu and DynoFlash bypass the ECU with a boost control.
words from the man witha flash... I need a flash for my car to kill my fuel cut and get me better timing maps