Mitsubishi Evolution For eight generations now, the Evolution has been the leading name in AWD performance, both on the road, and off.

What should I expect??

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2011, 01:09 AM
Default What should I expect??

Looking to buy an evo 9, lowest mods available would be great. Just want to know if there's anything I should be ready for. Like know that if I'm buying an eclipse, to be prepared for crank---walk. Anything like that?? Plzzzzzzzz and thank you.

Old 02-09-2011, 03:22 PM

never owned an evo myself but from what I heard you need to service them fairly often because they have incredibly sensitive tolerances for the turbos and other systems. Other than that i think they are pretty bullet proof

Old 02-09-2011, 05:10 PM

As far as what I've heard is that the MR transmission is junk and that you do need to service them and replace fluids in them often!!!! especially the 3 differentials. You'd be better off checking out an EVO forum my friend such as http://www.evolutionm.net/ I'm sure they would be able to supply you with more evolution information than your prepared for.

Old 03-02-2011, 04:21 PM

The transmission issues that were talked about previously were mainly confined to the Evo 8's. The transfer cases/transmissions would die on them fairly quickly and seemingly without any real cause. They corrected that for the 9's, however. I've had mine for 4.5 years and even with sporadic hard pulls, a dyno day, a track day and 54k miles, she is still strong as an ox.

When you roll up on an Evo at the used car lot, here are some things to keep in mind:

1. Don't let the used car guy tell you that the MR version is "more powerful" than the GSR or RS. It's not. It has the same exact engine! It doesn't have a bigger turbo or more hp or anything else different engine-wise.

2. Speaking of differences, here are the differences between the various trim levels:

RS (base model) - no wing, no radio, manual windows/doors, no AC, Macpherson shocks/struts, leather/suede interior, Enkei rims

GSR (mid-range, most common version) - everything the RS has but add wing, radio, AC and change the windows/doors to power

MR ("top of the line") - everything the GSR has, but change the 5-speed transmission to 6-speed, all leather seats, Bilstein shocks/struts, BBS rims, vortex generator (the "shark fin" looking arrangement at the back end of the roof)

There are other subtle little differences, badging and trim, mostly, maybe HIDs/standard headlights, but those are fairly unimportant.

3. Evo 9's never came with cruise control or automatic transmission, so don't ask for it. You'll only look silly. You'd think a $30k sports car would have those options, but Evos don't... *shrug* Doesn't make sense to me either.

4. Look VERY carefully for signs of mods having been removed. Mismatched hose clamps, spliced vacuum lines/wires, miscellaneous neatly-spaced holes in various spots, loose/dangling wires, missing stock trim pieces (undertrays are a PITA to put on/take off, so guys out here a lot of times just leave them off)

The rest of shopping for an Evo should be identical for any other car. =) Hope this helps!

Last edited by Seven3Lee; 03-02-2011 at 04:24 PM.