Mitsubishi Galant A sporty mid-sized sedan offering the perspective buyer a change from the normal mid-size sedan class.

2002 galant heater controls stuck?

Old 07-08-2008, 12:09 AM
Default 2002 galant heater controls stuck?

I have the 2002 Galant ES 4 Cylinder. Almost from the time I have had it, whenever I moved the hot/cold dial (mostlywhen the A/C wasnot on),I would hear movement going on behind the controls as if louver doors or something were opening/closing and then you'd feel heat. As time has gone on, it seems like the delay is longer and the movement sound is more pronounced up until this winter I no longer had any heat at all. I also had to make sure that I did not move the dialtoo rapidly or make a big hot/cold change because it would actually get stuck and take a while to feel the heat change. I have not worried about it because the AC works fine and don't need heat but I need to get it fixed before I forget about it.

I have noticed that where the air comes out of in the different vents that on the underside it looks as if there has been moisture that has dried and left water spots on them. I was wondering if maybe the moving partsbehind the dash were maybe gunked up somehow and that was preventing the movement. It really seems as if the movement you hear that takes place when you turn the hot/cold dial has been sticky and slow for some reason

In any event, not sure where to start going about fixing this and cannot presently afford to visit the mechanic. Has anyone else experienced this? Any suggestions? Thanks in advance for reading BTW!