Mitsubishi Galant A sporty mid-sized sedan offering the perspective buyer a change from the normal mid-size sedan class.

2002 Mitsubishi Galant ES 2.4L Turns over but won't start.

Old 09-10-2011, 11:01 PM
Question 2002 Mitsubishi Galant ES 2.4L Turns over but won't start.

So I'm driving down the road the other day and everything running smoothly, no issues whatsoever, and my 2002 Mitsubishi Galant shuts down, out of nowhere, while going about 50 on a local highway. Pulled it over and inspected it, everything seemed to be in good order but it wouldn't crank, just turned over sickeningly, continuously. Had to tow it home.

My first thoughts were, ok, turning over but not starting, must be fuel, spark, or compression (or timing). Ruled out compression because of how abruptly the problem arose. Went ahead and checked every fuse and relay in the car and found them to be good, so moved on to check the fuel part of the equation.

Replaced the fuel filter (strainer located only on the pump on this model) and checked to make sure the pump was running by listening, and by pulling the gas line off of it that led to the engine and trying to start it. Fuel definitely pumped out so that ruled out the fuel aspect. Replaced it just in case, still didn't start.

Next to see if I had spark I pulled out all four of my spark plugs and let them sit on the engine and tried to start it to see if I had spark. Only the two center spark plugs gave spark. Bingo, there's the problem.

Now to figure out the why. The two center plugs are hooked to one coil pack, and the two outer are connected to another. Suspecting a bad coil, I switched the coils and tried my spark test again, with the exact same results, the two center plugs sparked, two outer did not.

Ok, so I wasn't sure what this could mean, so I checked to see if both coil packs were getting power and getting properly grounded and they were. Talked to a Mitsubishi dealer and they said maybe bad crank sensor, so I replaced it, which is quite a tedious task on this model, but still the same issue. Then I decided maybe it was something simple, such as plug wires, so replaced those, and still no success.

I'm totally clueless at this point. It's not the timing belt, the crank sensor, the spark plugs, the spark plug wires, the coil packs, the fuel pump, the fuel filter, a bad fuse, or a bad relay.

If anyone can give me any clue as to what is going on, it would be so greatly appreciated.

Thank-you.

Old 09-11-2011, 07:15 PM

I'm having the same problem as you are. See my post: "2006 galant not catching"

Old 09-12-2011, 08:31 PM

do your cam and crank timing marks line up ????????

Old 09-24-2011, 09:17 AM

having the exact same problem..I have replaced fuel filter etc...I am planning today to replace my ECU/ECM...if it works..I will let you know! good luck, if u figure anything please let me know.

Old 09-24-2011, 10:04 PM

fuel pump ?????? tps ?????

Old 09-27-2011, 10:52 AM

Originally Posted by chevygirl006
having the exact same problem..I have replaced fuel filter etc...I am planning today to replace my ECU/ECM...if it works..I will let you know! good luck, if u figure anything please let me know.
Did it work? And to anyone else, like I said in the post, I replaced the fuel pump, and the timing is fine. New update, I checked the voltage coming out of the computer wire into the bad coil pack and it was 0.03. Checked it on the good one and it was 4.50. I'm thinking bad ECU.

Old 09-21-2014, 05:17 PM
Unhappy

[Hello All,
I'm having the same problem.
Changed starter, upgraded battery, checked crank/cam,I was told it was getting gas but no spark?
One day before this issue the part on my key that you would separate to change the battery for remote came apart,would this cause me to have to have the key reprogrammed? Can't see that happing just to change the battery. I'm at a loss, need help please

Old 01-19-2015, 06:56 PM

did you ever find problem to why your car turned off?

Old 04-23-2017, 10:35 AM

Did you ever figure out your issue? I'm having the exact same problem. Same cylinders and everything won't fire.

Old 08-17-2017, 12:53 PM
Default Couple tricks

Originally Posted by jcrespo1991
So I'm driving down the road the other day and everything running smoothly, no issues whatsoever, and my 2002 Mitsubishi Galant shuts down, out of nowhere, while going about 50 on a local highway. Pulled it over and inspected it, everything seemed to be in good order but it wouldn't crank, just turned over sickeningly, continuously. Had to tow it home.

My first thoughts were, ok, turning over but not starting, must be fuel, spark, or compression (or timing). Ruled out compression because of how abruptly the problem arose. Went ahead and checked every fuse and relay in the car and found them to be good, so moved on to check the fuel part of the equation.

Replaced the fuel filter (strainer located only on the pump on this model) and checked to make sure the pump was running by listening, and by pulling the gas line off of it that led to the engine and trying to start it. Fuel definitely pumped out so that ruled out the fuel aspect. Replaced it just in case, still didn't start.

Next to see if I had spark I pulled out all four of my spark plugs and let them sit on the engine and tried to start it to see if I had spark. Only the two center spark plugs gave spark. Bingo, there's the problem.

Now to figure out the why. The two center plugs are hooked to one coil pack, and the two outer are connected to another. Suspecting a bad coil, I switched the coils and tried my spark test again, with the exact same results, the two center plugs sparked, two outer did not.

Ok, so I wasn't sure what this could mean, so I checked to see if both coil packs were getting power and getting properly grounded and they were. Talked to a Mitsubishi dealer and they said maybe bad crank sensor, so I replaced it, which is quite a tedious task on this model, but still the same issue. Then I decided maybe it was something simple, such as plug wires, so replaced those, and still no success.

I'm totally clueless at this point. It's not the timing belt, the crank sensor, the spark plugs, the spark plug wires, the coil packs, the fuel pump, the fuel filter, a bad fuse, or a bad relay.

If anyone can give me any clue as to what is going on, it would be so greatly appreciated.

Thank-you.

Hello i have had same problem with my 2003 galant i have fixed all same things with same results. Was given a couple tricks to try by my family and they work. Car now starts with no hesitation or sickening sounds. One take gas cap off two drop steering wheel tilt all the way down pump gas couple times then turn over. It may take couple times of trying to turn key but it should start.

Last edited by Manda Blair; 08-17-2017 at 12:54 PM. Reason: Misspelling

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2002 Mitsubishi Galant ES 2.4L Turns over but won't start.