Mitsubishi Galant A sporty mid-sized sedan offering the perspective buyer a change from the normal mid-size sedan class.

2002 Mitsubishi Galant Evaporator Drain Issue?

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2013, 03:39 PM
Default 2002 Mitsubishi Galant Evaporator Drain Issue?

Hey guys,

I've been having problems with my Galant over the past year. Every time I run the AC and make a left-hand turn, I hear a gurgling sound and then water comes pouring out onto the passenger's side floor.

I've read that this most probably an issue with a plugged evaporator drain tube. I was outside today trying to fix it; I stuck a coat hanger in it as well as several pipe cleaners that were wound together. Nothing really came out, but both the coat hanger and pipe cleaners were damp when I inspected them. However, I didn't get the characteristic rush of water from the tube that would indicate that it had been completely unclogged. A little drive confirmed that there was still water in the tube.

What's the best way to completely unclog the tube (if it is clogged) and what could be another issue that causes this?

Thanks

Old 06-01-2013, 10:03 PM
Banned

Get the garden hose and shoot some water up the drain hose.

Old 06-01-2013, 10:09 PM

I'll keep that in mind next time it happens...

I actually used some compressed air with a little flexible nozzle...just shot some up into the tube and the water came pouring out...I guess that little trick can solve the problem too.

A test drive with some sharp left turns and I can't hear any water running through the tube and there's nothing coming out on the passenger's side...hopefully that keeps it clear for a little while

Thanks for the advice.

Now it's time to start fixing that headliner that's falling off in the back...