Mitsubishi Montero & Montero Sport This sport utility vehicle offers more size than the other Mitsubishi SUVs, but manages to keep a sporty look and comfortable feel, unlike many larger SUVs.

2001 Mitsibushi Montero Limited Evaporator drain plugged

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2010, 05:50 PM
Default 2001 Mitsibushi Montero Limited Evaporator drain plugged

My Montero had water dripping on the passenger side floor mat due to a clogged evaporator drain line. After calling the dealer to ask where the drain line was located and getting a bogus answer, I found a reference in your forum regarding this problem. The drain is a small tube sticking out of the center of the firewall behind the engine. It is about 18 inches down and is just below the two steel lines crossing the firewall. You cannot see it from above. By laying on top of the engine and squeezing your hand between the engine and the firewall you can feel it. It only sticks out about a half inch from the firewall. I managed to get a piece of nylon cord from a weed eater into the line and cleared it out. It is in a very difficult location and you can only do it by feel.
The dealer service rep told me it was on the right side and often in the crossmember, obviously, the wrong answer for this vehicle.

Old 08-20-2010, 10:43 AM
Default montero xls 2003

I have the same problem trying to locate the front drain for the AC you would think they would make it easy to fine, and there is no way to see it the drain can not be seen from above and it enough owner have the same problem we can see if they would have a recall to fix this problem nothing in the owner manual show anything, but bthe dealers would be glaqd to take your money to fix it

Last edited by tzentgraf; 08-23-2010 at 09:11 AM.
Old 08-20-2010, 11:05 AM

class action?

there is barely any activity in these forums. no aftermarket parts, no exposure what soever.

owners just go here ask their problem and if its resolved they are never to post again.

there are no "enthusiasts" when it comes to the USDM Montero. A few out in the 4wheeling world, but more general just fixing them up, modifying. very few.

more so in the "Pajero" scene everywhere else in the world.

Old 08-23-2010, 09:09 AM
Default drain plug 2003 montero xls

I had purchased a machanic mirror to look for the drain plug, and I found it , it is located behind the engine in the center of the firewall that indents for the transmission it is only a inch long, the trick is locating it and inserting the wire to open it up, also trying to get the mirror to stay in place, you will need a flashlight to shine on the mirror, I thank you for the general location