Mitsubishi Galant A sporty mid-sized sedan offering the perspective buyer a change from the normal mid-size sedan class.

Check Engine-Cylinder 1 DTC, 2002 GTZ

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2005, 01:22 AM
Default Check Engine-Cylinder 1 DTC, 2002 GTZ

Hello everybody,

This is my first post and the reason for my message is that I have had a check engine light on for the last 1 year, without it being resolved, by an outside shop, as well as a Mitsubishi dealer which looked at the car/problem 2x.

It all started when I took it into an outside shop for a timing belt replacement...the guy was never able to resolve the problem and the light would come on after 2-3 days after getting it back from him...I currently have about 88-89K miles on the odometer.

I then took it into Mitsu dealership and they diagnosed the wiring harness being routed incorrectly, as well as Bosch plugs installed and not the NGK's...the wires were Mitsu's OEMand weren't replaced. Well, after paying $300 for that service, (removing the plenum, replacing the head gasket and 6 NGK plugs)the light disapeared for a few months and I was happy not to have to look at the CE light every day...needless to say, the CE re-appeared in the summer and I took it into Mitsu this past Saturday...they ended up doing an injector cleaning and throttle body cleaning, which definitely improved throttle responsiveness and noticeably the fuel economy...however, after little more than 24 hrs, the CE light was back, but I've got to say that I've never noticed a significant loss in power and the car never ran rough, even now!

Among other things that were recomended by the dealer to solve?! the problem was doing an engine flush the next time I change my oil and if that doesn't work replacing the FI running into cylinder 1 and perhaps replacing a noisy lifter, which seems to be coming from the back of the engine...after dishing out $284 for the 2 cleanings, I'm kind of fealing like the dealership is milking me for as much as they can, without resolving the problem...BUT, as I said before the cleanings did improve performance, but I'll need to buy lots of gas to justify the fuel savings.

I would appreciate it if anyone would take time to give me some ideas and possible remedies to this annoying!!! light

Thanks!!!