Mitsubishi Galant A sporty mid-sized sedan offering the perspective buyer a change from the normal mid-size sedan class.

is a chip worth it

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2004, 04:06 PM
Default is a chip worth it

<FONT color=blue size=2>i own an 03 galant and im lookin to add some more h.p. am i wasting money on a jet performance chip?</FONT> <edited><editID>riding03</editID><editDate>38057.5880902778</editDate></edited>

Old 03-12-2004, 03:11 AM

Yes. No chip ever really helps, or any other wonder mod for that matter. Think of it like this, if the chip is really that good, wouldn't the manufacturer have put it or something like iton the car originally? In a very competetive market like this whereeffiencyand hp(now anyways) are the key to selling their products, the manufacturer would try and squeeze every bit of performance froman engine before they sold it. So why not "chip" it beforethey sellit? </P>

There was a test done on the venom chip that made an astounding discovery. The chip claimed increase hp and torque by about 20% except at full throttle. Well, it did. However, it did it in a very sneaky and undermining way. Instead of "optimizing" the engine's fuel maps or what not, it simply intercepted to throttle signal and modified it. So if you push down on the gas pedal about 50%, The "chip" tells the ecu that you're pushing down 70%. When you press down to 80% the ecu thinks your at full throttle, so anything above that won't evenmatter to the ecu. So they weren't lying....but they didn't really help your car any more than you could by mashing the pedal a little more. I doubt the jet chip is any different.</P>

Old 03-12-2004, 04:01 PM

thanks a bunch bro...... i already have an intake exhaust and headers what else could i do?? cam gears??

Old 03-13-2004, 01:57 AM

Are you a v6 or 4cylinder? If you're a 4 cylinder, you can start slowly working up to a turboconversion using evolution parts. Might take a while to get everything to do the conversion, but since everybody's crashing their evo's you might get lucky. If you're a v6, I'm not sure if mitsu is still using the 6g72 in the galant, but if they are still using it then you might be in luck. You can get the 3.8l block from a diamante and do a stroker motor. These are some idea's...the best thing is to figure out where you wanna go with your car. Street/strip action or autox, then build up to that point. Hope this helps out.

Old 03-13-2004, 02:02 AM

Oh, get a pocketlogger. I *think* it may work with your car, but you'll have to check their website. While it won't give any additional power, it is a very important tool and will help you tune the car better. Maxamize your current setup and any new mods will affect your car in a much better way. Before you get cam gears or anything that deals with the fuel/ignition, you should find a way to datalog so you tune.

Old 03-15-2004, 03:17 PM

<FONT color=blue>i got the 4 banger, i was thinking bout a turbo but i dont know where to start looking and i dont know s**t about them.</FONT>

Old 03-16-2004, 12:14 AM

DDP(Dougs DynoPower) has a turbo kit made for the 3g eclipses. It *should* fit on your engine, but you'll have to check with DDP. The price is kinda steep, but you get a good basic interooled kit. I do know you'll be making over 200whp with Dougs kit, so that's cool.