Mitsubishi Galant A sporty mid-sized sedan offering the perspective buyer a change from the normal mid-size sedan class.

Click but no start: Gen 8 2.4cyl

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2011, 04:42 PM
Default Click but no start: Gen 8 2.4cyl

Hello, folks. I've searched for a similar thread but those about the Galant not starting don't have many similarities to my issue other than it won't start.

What happens, or has for the last 5 or 6 months, is that occassionally when I turn the key in the ingnition I hear one click but the starter never turns over. Usually, if I angle the key just right it then turns over. Today, no go. I tried the valet key and same thing. I'm not sure if it's the ignition system at the key or the starter not turning over. The battery measures 12.5 both across the terminals and from the positive to a grounded screw. I've not had any sluggish starting lately either. It either fires right up or I get the one click but no engine turn over. Also, after the one click my accessories come right up (radio, windows work, a/c fans blow). I'm not sure where to start for troubleshooting, really, and funds dont' allow me to just "shop and swap" til it's fixed. Any help or suggestions are appreciated.

Old 07-04-2011, 01:47 AM

http://www.hintsandthings.com/garage/diagnosis.htm

Check the third one down.

Cheers.

Old 07-04-2011, 09:01 AM

Much appreciated, but I believe the 4th listing is more accurate, same points of interest for the most part, though. I'm banking on the ignition switch or the solenoid (which completely slipped my mind.) Luckily I've a Gen8 manual to help reference the solenoid location.

Old 07-04-2011, 11:00 AM

Let us know exactly what you do to fix it and take a pic if poss, its bound to happen to someone else

Old 07-04-2011, 07:06 PM

Alright, gentlemen, still haven't found the actual fix but what I did find:
The connector on the negative terminal was cracked and as such not making a good connection. I temporarily clamped it tight with a pair of vise grips and resumed troubleshooting. Turning the key would give me a click at what sounded like the starter motor and nothing else. After 5 or 6 more turns trying to locate the starter it finally just fired up. So, as I said, no real fix yet, but I will certainly let ya know what the final fix is.

Old 07-16-2011, 10:24 PM

I may have found the issue. OBDII gave the code for the Crankshaft Position sensor, after replacing so far no more issues. I'll follow up to to confirm a fix.