Mitsubishi Galant A sporty mid-sized sedan offering the perspective buyer a change from the normal mid-size sedan class.

Driving through flooded tunnel

Old 11-17-2009, 01:30 PM
Exclamation Driving through flooded tunnel

I have a 2001 Mitsubishi Galant GTZ, well we had a very bad storm last week which flooded the streets, after things cooled down i went to see a movie and ended up driving into a 1 way tunnel which was flooded, maybe a foot and a half deep, well i got through it fine, but maybe 10 mins later i noticed the "BATTERY and BRAKE" light dim on and off, i pulled over and looked into the engine bay and noticed nothing different, so i continued to drive, i flicked the wind shield wipper blade on and noticed it moved verry slow, after that things went down hill, all my lights, interior and exterior started to slowly dim so, my CD player cd off, and even my tacks on my dash stoped working (everything dropped to 0) (rpm, speed,etc...) so i parked my car and let it sit over for a day, i come back and open the door and notice the door light very dim, tried to start it and it didnt turn over, so i had a buddy jump it, and as soon as i had external power from the jump, everything worked, lights mega bright, my tacks all work, everything was good, but as soon as i took the jumper cables off, everything started to slowly die again, lights, tacks, and all, anyone have an idea??? this is a 6cyl mitsubishi galant, 2001

Old 11-17-2009, 01:32 PM
Banned

Alternator or battery went kaput.

Check all grounds and terminals.

Old 11-19-2009, 06:45 PM

My buddy and I, aswell as what you said, think its the alternator aswell, but my question now is how the hell do you remove the upper bolt on it? we've gotten the other one off, but this one on the top is sooo tightly on there, we actually ended up breaking 2 tools, and almost stripped the bolt itself..do we use a torch and heat it up or something?

Old 11-20-2009, 01:13 AM

they usually design cars to allow you to get it off some way, try going at it from a different angle