Mitsubishi Galant A sporty mid-sized sedan offering the perspective buyer a change from the normal mid-size sedan class.

Galant 2002 Key Entry Stopped Working

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2021, 01:35 PM
Default Galant 2002 Key Entry Stopped Working

Hi guys,

I am new to this forum. Thanks for having me. I have owned a galant 2002 now for over 9 yrs. Great car! - Recently I tried to use my keyless entry to unlock/lock the car and it would not work. I changed the battery and nothing. I also tried programming the remote as well as a brand new remote, but the car seems to not be listening to the remote regardless during the programming.

During the programming procedure I can successfully enter key programming mode by:
1. put in the key in off position
2. short pins 1 and 4 of the OBD port
3. Press the hazard light button 6 times within 10 secs

When I do this, the locks are automatically cycled indicating that I am now in key programming mode, but then I try pressing the lock button of the remote three times the locks are not cycling again, indicating it is not seeing the remote. I am starting to think that the RF receiver in the car is bad. I have heard about the ETACS module being responsible for all this. If so, is it easy to replace? Can I get a used module off ebay, replace it and re-program the fobs? or will it require matching keys, locks and all that crap too?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks!