Mitsubishi Galant A sporty mid-sized sedan offering the perspective buyer a change from the normal mid-size sedan class.

Heavy rain, dash lights up, power steering lost

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2009, 11:21 AM
Default Heavy rain, dash lights up, power steering lost

I'm hoping to get some ideas here on our 2001 Galant 6cyl.

The last few times it's rained heavily and I think it's when we've hit some standing water or just some heavy water in the streets, the dash lights light up and power steering is lost. Engine doesn't die and after 30 seconds or so of limping it will return to normal.

I'm thinking splashing water might be sort of shorting out something and then once the water drips away it's ok, but I'm not sure where to look. The power steering unit is up high in the engine, so that doesn't seem logical.

Fortunately, this has been happening in slow speed situations, but we are nervous about if this happens at high speed on an interstate.

edit: Back in July, I replaced both belts. Would getting wet enough cause them to slip and show these symptoms, then once dry return to normal? Perhaps I should try adjusting the belt tightness after this period of breaking in. I did tighten a tad a week or so after install.

Another related question: This car was bought used and I see no splash guards under the front bumper or on either side. Should there be?

Thanks for any input.

Last edited by Fe2O3; 10-28-2009 at 11:39 AM.
Old 10-28-2009, 02:16 PM

yes, your belts are slipping due to the water. you probably dont have them tight enough. and yes, you NEED the splash shields. if they werent needed, they wouldnt be there.

Old 10-28-2009, 05:46 PM

Originally Posted by Manybrews
yes, your belts are slipping due to the water. you probably dont have them tight enough. and yes, you NEED the splash shields. if they werent needed, they wouldnt be there.

Understood. Can you tell me what guards I should have on this '01 Galant? All this one seems to have is fender well plastic liners.
My Lancer has guards across the front, under the bumper extending back a good ways. I'm thinking this car should have the same, although a coworker has an '00 that is void of the front guards as well.