Mitsubishi Galant A sporty mid-sized sedan offering the perspective buyer a change from the normal mid-size sedan class.

Horn and air bag light problems - Linked?

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2006, 08:57 AM
Default Horn and air bag light problems - Linked?

I have a 95 Galant which was fitted with an airbag (which i am told was unusual for a 95 model).

The car has been off the road for over 6 months now waiting for the engine to be fixed and in that time the battery died and so was powered down for ages.

The engine has now been fixed and a new battery put in, but now the air bag light doesn't turn off and the horn will not operate. I've buzzed out the circuit, the fuses are ok and the horn relay is not switching so i suspect it is down to the steering wheel switch....which i haven't been able to test yet as i can't work out how to get to it or if it is even possible to get to. As the airbag light is also on i wonder if these two problems are linked?

I assume there are connectors behind the steering wheel itself but am wondring if i can get to them to check them out. Or whether i need to replace the steering wheel. Are the horn switch and/or airbag contacts part of the steering wheel or a separate component behind it on the steering column?

Any suggestions on how to fix or what to check out next?

Thanks - Jbo.

Old 03-01-2006, 07:33 AM
Default RE: Horn and air bag light problems - Linked?

hi i have a 1995 galant 1.8 which has air bag .i have been told that behind the steering wheel there is a brass ring that links to the air bag and horn if its a bad conection the light comes on and the air bag and horn dont work hope this is of some help pete

Old 03-02-2006, 11:29 AM

Any idea how to get to that connector? Do i need to get the steering wheel off first?
Cheers - Jbo

Old 03-02-2006, 07:13 PM

hi from what i have been told that the ring is behind the steering wheel but you must be carefull not to set off the air bag when taking off the wheel.best to disconect the battery pete

Old 03-14-2006, 05:23 PM

Did you have any luck with this? I have a 99 Galant and have a similar problem where the horn, srs light, and cruise control all wont work. I'm curious to see if anyone had any luck fixing this?

Old 03-16-2006, 07:35 AM

I've done some more asking around at a Mitz main dealer. In my case, it is a part called a 'fob' that needs replacing and it will take 3 weeks for them to just get the part. Part cost is 169 Euro (ex VAT)....in Ireland.