Mitsubishi Galant A sporty mid-sized sedan offering the perspective buyer a change from the normal mid-size sedan class.

How to replace the cabin air filter Mitsubishi Galant 2001 V6 2.5L

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2011, 11:38 AM
Default How to replace the cabin air filter Mitsubishi Galant 2001 V6 2.5L

Guide

I'm not sure which models this applies to, but I went to change my cabin air filter with my Haynes Manual, removed the glove box and I'm met by something completely different to what is covered in the manual.

There is a bar which needs to be removed in order to access the cabin filter, I wasn't sure how easy it was going to be to remove since it required removing bits of trim, so I googled it and found nothing but other people asking how to do it.
So I decided to bite the bullet and find out, and then make a post to help other people with the same problem.
It takes about 10 minutes once you have the right tools. You will need a philips head screw driver and an M6 spanner or socket. A replacement cost me £17.00 from Euro Car Parts.

1. Open the glove box and remove items. On the left hand side is a removable peg which stops the glove box opening too far, pull it forward slightly and push it from the outside through into the glove box. Then pull the whole glove box to the left and down, this will allow you to manouvre the glove box around the right hand peg which can't be removed. With the glove box open you will see the cabin air filter obstructed by the metal bar.

2. Once the glove box is fully open remove the two screws that fix the glove box hinges to the bar you can see in the first picture, don't worry the glove box won't come crashing down as soon as you have removed them. Once the screws are gone carefully lift the glove box slightly and there are two small clips that will lift out to allow you to remove the glove box.

3. Now remove the plastic trim to the left of the glove box to allow you access to the bar fixings, there are 2 or 3 screws holding this in and it just pops out quite easily once these screws are removed, see second picture.

4. Unclip the plastic trim at the bottom of the bar, it is held by clips that literally pull straight out and push back in (third picture) , careful though as they may be brittle, the trim doesn't need to be fully removed, just let it hang down like you can see in the first picture.

5. Now you can remove the 3 screws that hold the air filter, the air filter can't be removed yet but you can pull it out far enough to make a discusted face at how dirty it is.

6. On the left beneath where you removed the plastic trim is a bolt and a screw that hold the metal bar in place, remove both. Now the bar is hanging by a single screw on the right hand side, you can remove this if you like but you won't be able to get it with an ordinary screw driver you will need a ratchet with a philips attached as the screw is obstucted by the centre dash trim. However, if you don't mind lots of pushing, pulling and swearing you will now be able to push the bar down low enough to pull the air filter out without removing the last screw.

7. Installation is the reverse of removal. Don't smell the old filter unless you like puking a little in your mouth.

Attached Thumbnails How to replace the cabin air filter Mitsubishi Galant 2001 V6 2.5L-dsc00108.jpg   How to replace the cabin air filter Mitsubishi Galant 2001 V6 2.5L-dsc00107.jpg   How to replace the cabin air filter Mitsubishi Galant 2001 V6 2.5L-dsc00112.jpg   How to replace the cabin air filter Mitsubishi Galant 2001 V6 2.5L-dsc00113.jpg  

Last edited by HeadsWillRoll; 07-05-2011 at 11:44 AM.