Mitsubishi Galant A sporty mid-sized sedan offering the perspective buyer a change from the normal mid-size sedan class.

I really want your advice. I have gone through 5 sets of rotors!!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2007, 02:27 PM
Default I really want your advice. I have gone through 5 sets of rotors!!!

I have a 2002 Galant 4 cyl and we all know the brake rotors are prone to warping. I have replaced 5 sets only to have all of them warp within six months of driving. I have recently heard that aftermarket rotors can solve this problem. I want to try.

Can everyone please give me some advice on what rotor/pad setup is the best. Specifically, has anyone had repeated rotor warping issues and bought a specific name brand and style of rotor that has solved this problem?

Rotor brand name, (cross drilled, slotted, etc...) (pads, semi-metallic, ceramic, etc...) I would love to hear your stories and hopefully your solutions!
Help []

Old 07-26-2007, 10:18 AM
Default RE: I really want your advice. I have gone through 5 sets of rotors!!!

Bump.

Anyone?...

Old 07-26-2007, 10:30 AM

We rarely if ever see warpage issues with Galants here. About the only things that could cause such repeated warpage would be constant braking in hilly areas, or ramming the lug nuts on with an impact gun. The wheels should be evenly torqued, and at no more than 90 lb/ft. I believe we set them to 81 here if I recall correctly.

Old 08-02-2007, 06:35 PM

I had the front rotors replaced on my '05 GTS at 25,000 miles under warranty. So far, so good on the new ones.

Old 08-02-2007, 07:50 PM

We have a 2003 Galantwith nearly 100,000 miles on the original rotors with no issues. I agree with MitsuTim, check the torque on the lug nuts. Uneven torque on lug nuts can kill your rotors. Follow the manufacturers recommendations for installing/tightening the lug nuts (criss cross pattern, in 2 stages - snug, to align the whell, then tighten to the correct torque)

Old 08-02-2007, 07:52 PM

http://www.indiacar.com/techqa/3.htm

What causes a rotor to warp? Overtorquing or unevenly torquing the lug nuts with an impact wrench is a common cause. For this reason, most experts recommend using a torque wrench to tighten lug nuts when changing a wheel. There are also special torque-limiting extension sockets called "Torque Sticks" that can be safely used with an impact wrench to accurately tighten lug nuts. But a plain impact wrench should never be used for the final tightening of the lug nuts because most provide no control whatsoever over the amount of torque applied to the nuts.

Overheating can also cause rotors to warp. Overheating may be the result of severe abuse or dragging brakes. Defects in the rotor casting, such as thick and thin areas can also cause uneven cooling that leads to warpage. Hard spots in the metal due to casting impurities can be yet another cause.

Old 08-03-2007, 06:54 AM
Banned

Okay, new rotors you have to heat cycle them. There are rules.

1) No sudden braking
2) No hard braking
3) No braking for short periods of time.

You take it to the highway, you go upto about 100mph and then brake back down to what ever... and repeat the process. Dont brake hard... enough to slow you down decently and enough to make those ****ers hot : ). Do this about 5 times... and they will never warp.

Alernativly, get yourself a set of brembos that wont warp : )

Old 08-13-2007, 10:25 AM

Sorry I did not respond sooner...life. I ordered a new set of drilled, vented disk brakes (Centric) and PosiQuiet ceramic pads. I hope this will do the trick. I'm also going to "heat break them in" and torque the lug nuts based on the advice I got here.

Old 08-13-2007, 03:59 PM
Banned

As long as you follow my instructions you will have no problem : )

Old 08-13-2007, 05:42 PM

machine the rotors ON the car. There is no other truely acceptable way.
it eliminates 75 percent of warpage issues.