Mitsubishi Galant A sporty mid-sized sedan offering the perspective buyer a change from the normal mid-size sedan class.

Installing auxiliary audio port on 05 Galant

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2009, 09:36 PM
Talking Installing auxiliary audio port on 05 Galant

I have an 05 Galant DE with just the normal Mitsubishi sound system. I was thinking about replacing my head unit just to get an auxiliary port to plug in my iPod or whatever other music players I have lying around because I'm sick of burning CDs.

Well, I'm pleased with the sound in the vehicle for now and I was wondering if there was a cheaper way to get an aux port in my head unit. I did some searching on google and found a couple things.

One involves some rather botched soldering work with a giant disclaimer warning of frying your entire head unit and another is a little part specifically made for this model vehicle (supposedly). (Link below)

http://www.discountcarstereo.com/detail.aspx?ID=1223

I read somewhere to that get to "AUX" mode you have to hold down the CD button for 2 seconds, well, I tried that but to no avail. Also, though, I read that AUX mode will only initiate when you have this installed. I was merely wondering if this would work (I know how to take out my head unit and stuff myself, that's easy) or if there was any other, cheaper, way to get an aux port in my car.

And yes, I've tried FM transmitters and they just don't cut it.

Thank you.

Last edited by ecweeks; 06-11-2009 at 09:40 PM.
Old 06-12-2009, 08:47 AM

I think installing AUX is pretty expensive. $200.00

you better off with the FM station receiver but buy the high quality receiver for mp3 player or ipod.

Old 06-14-2009, 11:53 AM

Hm, thanks, do you have any suggestions?

Old 06-22-2009, 09:08 PM
Thumbs up I strongly recommend...

buying an aftermarket stereo. Most have aux inputs AND usb inputs now. I have an 06 Galant 3.8 and just replaced my factory radio( yes it did sound decent, but not good enough). I bought the Kenwood 342u. WOW! what a difference ! $139 at best buy( full price,not on sale). it ROCKS!!! no need for an amp. the wiring harness and dash kit were $60 (perfect match with the color of the dash - it has a "double DIN" size cutout with the a/c dials along with a "slot "compartment that you can either place above or below the radio (it's best below the radio) which gives you more room for stuff, or for the ipod or mp3 player that you will be connecting to the radio). The ipod is controlled through the radio which is good ( comes with a remote too) has blue lights the go with the dash lights. forget soldering anything, get a rocking system installed and out the door for under $250 with the connections you're looking for.
You'll find yourself going for a drive just to listen to the radio.