Mitsubishi Galant A sporty mid-sized sedan offering the perspective buyer a change from the normal mid-size sedan class.

No Matter What! Brakes Squeek!

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2005, 10:36 PM
Default No Matter What! Brakes Squeek!

From when I purchased my car new, my brakes were fine. Then they started squeeking and started a grinding noise. I took them into a brakes shop. Replaced the pads, and machined the rotors as much as they could within spec (with the 20k that was put on it before me, the previous owner ate more then 50% of the rotor with use before minimum spec was reached), and after all the brake work. I still got a squeek when I was stopping in a turn (pulling into a parking spot), though the grinding was gone. Over time it progressively got worse and the squeeking started in normal stopping. I replaced the rotors, confirmed with a brake shop that the OEM rotors do not need to be machined before they are installed. I balanced with rotor spin with a stationary dial indicator, and replaced the pads. Squeeking stopped for a week then started again.

Over time, progressively 1 year, the squeeking has been constant. Pads replaced, rotors replaced, Pads installed with non-squeek gel. But still no avail.

Any help?

PS... I have replaced brakes on more cars and trucks that I would like to remember and none of them have given me as much trouble as my own car.