Mitsubishi Galant A sporty mid-sized sedan offering the perspective buyer a change from the normal mid-size sedan class.

Question re tappets

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2012, 03:38 AM
Default Question re tappets

Hello all,

First time poster here (UK based) with a question as I'm considering taking the Mitsubishi plunge. I already have a Honda S2000 and Kawasaki and Suzuki motorbikes, so I'll well aware of the attraction of Japanese vehicles, and I'm now looking at a 2001 Galant v6 Sport (the estate model) as a practical second car. It looks very tidy and has 62k on the clock.

I'm seeing the car tonight but having spoken to the owner he mentioned a noisey tappet as the only real issue. He said the bloke that serviced the car last year (I'm guessing not a dealer) said it was probably dirt in the hydraulic system somewhere, and that running the car a bit harder and for longer (not easy around here) would probably clear it. The owner said that sure enough on a road trip on the continent the noise went away, although it had returned now that the car was back home.

Any views on this? The car is not a huge investment given the age etc, but I really don't want to land myself with something which has serious mechanical issues. Anything else to look out for specifically?

Any help very gratefully received.

Thanks in advance

RW

Old 01-11-2012, 05:31 AM

very common mitsubishi makes a noisy lifter and bad valve stem seals i have found that if i run castoroil syntec that the lifters do not tick