Mitsubishi Galant A sporty mid-sized sedan offering the perspective buyer a change from the normal mid-size sedan class.

throttle body spacers

Old 04-17-2005, 11:50 PM
Default RE: throttle body spacers

8g gallants are pretty much the same w/ 00' up eclipse rs/gs. another thing i, noticed about the spyder 4g64 is the ignition set up, it has 4 plug wires. compare to most 4g64's 2 wires and 2 coil towers.[:-]

Old 04-18-2005, 03:52 AM

Ok everyone hopefully I can explain this one more clear and if you guys don't understand after this then I don't know what to tell you. Your money spend it as you wish....

The 4G64 from the Spyder and the 4G64 from the 8G Galant are two totaly different engines. They only share the name as an engine code. Where going to call the Spyder 4G64 the DSM 4G64 and the 8G Galant 4G64 just 4G64 to make things simpler....

First... the 4G64 from the 8G Galant 1999-2003 is the same 4G64 from the 2000-2005 Eclipse... non DSM.

Second... the DSM 4G64 is turned 180 Degree's from the 4G64. In other words the intake.. timing belt... cam gear... coolant... oil cap... all on the opposite side of the engine bay from the 4G64.

Third... also as pointed out the 4G64 uses two wire and two coil packs. The DSM 4G64 uses a distributor cap. The 4G64 does not.

Fourth.. the only Galant that can use a DSM 4G64 which there is a Galant that comes stock with the DSM 4G64 is between 1994-1998 7G Galant. Can't tell you exact year because I am not an expert on the 7G. The 7G can also use the 4G63t in there engine bays. Why??? because there engine mounts and everything face the same way as the DSM's.

Fifth... Yes you can mate a 4G63t DOHC head onto a DSM 4G64 because the face the same way and makes one hell of a combination. There are tuners out there right now using this set up and with a displacment of 2.4 instead of 2.0 means you have a real strong block with potnetial to boost more.

Sixth... you can not mate a 4G63t DOHC onto a 4G64 block. There turned 180 degrees from each other.

Seventh... you can not mate a 420A head onto a 4G64 block. There turned 180 degree from each other.

Now you keep talking about a 4G64 but your confusing the DSM 4G64 which is not what you have to the non DSM 4G64 which you have. If the year Galant you have is between 1999-2003 then you have a non DSM 4G64 and CAN NOT USE THE PARTS FROM A DSM SPYDER 4G64.....

Don't know how much clearer I can put it but like I said your welcome to your own research and hope you the best. If you do decided to put all that money to convert your 4G64 into a DSM 4G64 then please record your work because I am sure there will be plenty of people instrested in how you do it myself included.

Now if you want to know how to turbo charge your 4G64 we can talk about that too....

Old 04-18-2005, 08:38 AM

But in my last reply i showed where other people say that a 2.0l and 2.4l ( not a spyder ) have interchangeable parts. I agree that the spyder parts will probably not apply due to spacing. From reading that reply i found you can buy a 2.0l custom intake manifold and fit the 2.4l engine because the heads are the same. This is for a Non Turbo application.

Old 04-18-2005, 03:19 PM

When the guy said this..,,, "However, the 4g64 was only offered in the 96-99 Spyder GS" then that whole statement he was talking about was about the DSM 4G64 since that was the only Eclipse that had a 4G64 which again was turned and a few other difference from the 4G64 you have. Like I said it is up to you and is your money. If this does work I would like to see pictures and a write up of the install.

And I am speaking on N/A application through out and the heads are not the same.....

Old 04-18-2005, 03:21 PM

ORIGINAL: wicked_outlander

so, i can mate the turbo from 4g63 to 4g64??? (will the manifold fit??)
You can mate a 4G63t DOHC head onto a DSM 4G64 block. Manifold will fit... you can also mate a DSM main onto a 4G64.

Old 04-18-2005, 04:01 PM

Yes but a 4g63 not the 4g63t intake manifold faces the same as my 4g64. I am having prblems with puttin a pictur on here. so please go to cardomain.com browse the eclipse community at look at 12th car on theat page. He has a picture of his 4g63. SO since a 4g63t can fit a DSm 4g64 because the way eveything positioned then what i described above should work too.

Old 04-18-2005, 04:39 PM

thnx for the info....thats a good one.

Old 04-18-2005, 04:42 PM

ORIGINAL: et2sub

Yes but a 4g63 not the 4g63t intake manifold faces the same as my 4g64. I am having prblems with puttin a pictur on here. so please go to cardomain.com browse the eclipse community at look at 12th car on theat page. He has a picture of his 4g63. SO since a 4g63t can fit a DSm 4g64 because the way eveything positioned then what i described above should work too.
since were talkin 4g's here.... are the engine mounts position for 63's?? are the same w/64's?? this is the first thing to consider for engine swap.

Old 04-18-2005, 05:09 PM

ok here it is....it came from the spyder eclipse section of this forum:

Old 04-18-2005, 05:09 PM

Actually after looking at the turbo forum on here i seen that SPyderGs dudehas the perfect idea for these spyder 4g64 engines as he posts here,

Whoa whoa whoa, i can't believe i missed this one. I am a firm believer in the power potential of any 2g spyder gs. They can handle as much power as any 4g63 with just some forged pistons and *maybe* a head swap. The 420a comes in 2 flavors, the 2.0liter and the 2.4liter. The 4g6 block also comes in a 2.0liter and a a 2.4liter. The 2.0liter is the 4g63, the 2.4 is called the 4g64. Now, the 420a in any TEL was always the 1998cc DOHC version. The 4g63 of course came in the turbo TEL cars. However, the 4g64 was only offered in the 96-99 Spyder GS(we're talking original DSM, TEL). Turbocharging a spyder gs is as simple as gathering oem 1st gen or 2nd gen turbo components and slapping it on. Every 4g63 component(except pistons) can fit on the 4g64, even the ecu's are interchangeable. Of course you can only use certain 2g components when applicable, like the obd2 ecu and knock sensor i believe, but those things are very plentiful and still cheap. The transmissions for the 4g64 and 4g63 are slightly different, but still very much the same. The 4g63 came with the F5M33 mitsubishi made transmission, while the 4g64 came with the F5M31. Notice only the last digit is different, and they say the last digit is the strength rating of the transmission. It's not all that much weaker. A note on how to break down mitsu transmissions: the "F" stands for front wheel drive while a "W" stands for AWD, the "5" means the gear number, of course 5 *forward* gears, the "M" stands for Manual and an "A" stands for automatic, and the last two numbers are supposedly strength rating of the transmission...nobody knows for sure really. So an EVO or GSX automatic would carry an W4A33 while the manual version would be a W5M33. Anyways, the gears are interchangeable in ALL versions of the transmissions, so mix and match to your delight. As for the 420A tranny, Mopar did briefly make a six speed manual transmission while the R/T's and ACR's were dominating their class in SCCA, but ceased production. I think it was only sold to certified race teams, so finding one that hasn't been wrung out might be a challenge. Now going from a 5 speed to a 6 speed is not as cool as you might think. If i were drag racing, i prefer a 5 speed any day of the week. If i'm autocrossing, a 6 speed may do me some good. However, for daily driving, i prefer a 5 speed or even automatic(I'm like superlazy sometimes, most of the time). Be aware that in most transmissions that were 5 speeds and became six speeds(Y2k Celica GT and then GTS, Ford Focus and then SVT) the 6th gear ratio is often the same as the 5 gear ratio of the 5 speed, so no increase in top speed. Once again, strength is dependant on the manufacturer, but the 420a's are said to have a very strong transmission. There is a racer out there that drives a race prepped NA 1996 neon and is putting down i think close 350hp to the wheels and still runs a FACTORY AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION!!! I don't know if he upgraded the torque converter or not, but seriously i don't think he did. I forget his name, but he used to build drag bikes also, it's a green neon that he drives. 420a's are reputed for having weak axles....so refocus on those. But just have fun.

with that in mine i will build new axles and a transmission, prolly even a clutch to before i even think about turboing it. Getting good feedback here, i love forums, id be lost without em'

(in reply to spydernoob

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: throttle body spacers