Mitsubishi Galant A sporty mid-sized sedan offering the perspective buyer a change from the normal mid-size sedan class.

throttle body spacers

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2005, 05:18 PM
Default RE: throttle body spacers

The 4G63 is still turned 180. I can not see the picture either because car domain seems to be acting up but all DSM motors are turned. The only motors that are turned the same as the Galant 4G64 are EVO IV to VIII motors. If you thinking about going DOHC then use a head from one of those motors.

Why don't we do this. Instead of doing what you can not do tell me what your trying to accomplish. Are you trying to go all motor? You want to go turbo? Your trying to use nitrous? Or do you just want some simple bolt ons?

Old 04-18-2005, 05:24 PM

ok what i am doing is putting on a custom intake manifold made for th3 4g63 2.ol and put it on mine because they are both positioned the same and have same heads. just like the dsm 4g64 and the 4g63t have same heads and positioned the same.

Old 04-18-2005, 05:30 PM

ORIGINAL: wicked_outlander

Actually after looking at the turbo forum on here i seen that SPyderGs dudehas the perfect idea for these spyder 4g64 engines as he posts here,

Whoa whoa whoa, i can't believe i missed this one. I am a firm believer in the power potential of any 2g spyder gs. They can handle as much power as any 4g63 with just some forged pistons and *maybe* a head swap. The 420a comes in 2 flavors, the 2.0liter and the 2.4liter. The 4g6 block also comes in a 2.0liter and a a 2.4liter. The 2.0liter is the 4g63, the 2.4 is called the 4g64. Now, the 420a in any TEL was always the 1998cc DOHC version. The 4g63 of course came in the turbo TEL cars. However, the 4g64 was only offered in the 96-99 Spyder GS(we're talking original DSM, TEL). Turbocharging a spyder gs is as simple as gathering oem 1st gen or 2nd gen turbo components and slapping it on. Every 4g63 component(except pistons) can fit on the 4g64, even the ecu's are interchangeable. Of course you can only use certain 2g components when applicable, like the obd2 ecu and knock sensor i believe, but those things are very plentiful and still cheap. The transmissions for the 4g64 and 4g63 are slightly different, but still very much the same. The 4g63 came with the F5M33 mitsubishi made transmission, while the 4g64 came with the F5M31. Notice only the last digit is different, and they say the last digit is the strength rating of the transmission. It's not all that much weaker. A note on how to break down mitsu transmissions: the "F" stands for front wheel drive while a "W" stands for AWD, the "5" means the gear number, of course 5 *forward* gears, the "M" stands for Manual and an "A" stands for automatic, and the last two numbers are supposedly strength rating of the transmission...nobody knows for sure really. So an EVO or GSX automatic would carry an W4A33 while the manual version would be a W5M33. Anyways, the gears are interchangeable in ALL versions of the transmissions, so mix and match to your delight. As for the 420A tranny, Mopar did briefly make a six speed manual transmission while the R/T's and ACR's were dominating their class in SCCA, but ceased production. I think it was only sold to certified race teams, so finding one that hasn't been wrung out might be a challenge. Now going from a 5 speed to a 6 speed is not as cool as you might think. If i were drag racing, i prefer a 5 speed any day of the week. If i'm autocrossing, a 6 speed may do me some good. However, for daily driving, i prefer a 5 speed or even automatic(I'm like superlazy sometimes, most of the time). Be aware that in most transmissions that were 5 speeds and became six speeds(Y2k Celica GT and then GTS, Ford Focus and then SVT) the 6th gear ratio is often the same as the 5 gear ratio of the 5 speed, so no increase in top speed. Once again, strength is dependant on the manufacturer, but the 420a's are said to have a very strong transmission. There is a racer out there that drives a race prepped NA 1996 neon and is putting down i think close 350hp to the wheels and still runs a FACTORY AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION!!! I don't know if he upgraded the torque converter or not, but seriously i don't think he did. I forget his name, but he used to build drag bikes also, it's a green neon that he drives. 420a's are reputed for having weak axles....so refocus on those. But just have fun.

with that in mine i will build new axles and a transmission, prolly even a clutch to before i even think about turboing it. Getting good feedback here, i love forums, id be lost without em'

(in reply to spydernoob
Yes the DSM 4G64 is a very promising engine. IMO the best set up is using the DSM 4G64 block and mate it with the 4G63t DOHC head. Unfourtanlty this is not possiable using a 8G Galant engine bay because everything is turned 180. If I had a 7G Galant then everything would have been just fine and I would have no problem fitting in a frankenstien motor. Since I am turned 180 I have decided to pursue using a EVO VIII mani with a stock EVO VIII turbo. You can use a exhaust main from a 1G and 2G Eclipse and use it on to the 8G Galant 4G64 but because the turbo (looking at the engine bay) sits to the far left you would have to get rid of your a/c or get someone to custom make some new lines and reposition the compressor somehow. That is why using a EVO IV to EVO VIII mani it will sit the turbo to the right and away from the a/c. Only thing that might be a problem is you might hit the starter but I won't know that until I get my turbo in. Another possiablity if someone wants is to mate a 4G63t DOHC head from a EVO IV to EVO VIII to a 8G Galant 4G64 block. Since the EVO is still only a 2.0 mating it with a 2.4 4G64 would make a very good combination IMO.

Old 04-18-2005, 05:33 PM

ORIGINAL: et2sub

ok what i am doing is putting on a custom intake manifold made for th3 4g63 2.ol and put it on mine because they are both positioned the same and have same heads. just like the dsm 4g64 and the 4g63t have same heads and positioned the same.
Good luck and please take plenty of pictures! I would like to know for sure 100% if this set up will work or not work. If your truly going to take this route I invite you to my message board because there will be members there wanting to know how this... if it works and how to do it...

www.dnaracing.net/board

Old 04-18-2005, 05:36 PM

i sure willlet you veyone know whether it works or not. i will not know til least next week cause part wont be shipped til thursday or friday. thanks

Old 04-18-2005, 06:06 PM

sorry to all but bolt pattern is slightly off. so for eveyone else who reads this part of the for not all parts of a 2.0l and 2.4l are interchangeable. thanks for your help prophet

Old 04-22-2005, 10:00 AM

how hard would it to be to find a head off of a IV or VIII evo. to do that head swap you where talking about? what is different in the head. is it a larger combustion chamber in the 2.4 over the 2.0 head? so they share the same stroke lenght for the piston? and would that change the over all displancemant of the engine?

Old 04-22-2005, 02:05 PM

ORIGINAL: 2002es

how hard would it to be to find a head off of a IV or VIII evo. to do that head swap you where talking about? what is different in the head. is it a larger combustion chamber in the 2.4 over the 2.0 head? so they share the same stroke lenght for the piston? and would that change the over all displancemant of the engine?
Best bet would be to look on eBay or check out http://forums.evolutionm.net/ and if your lucky you will find someone parting out a EVO. And with a EVO head you gain the most important thing... DOHC.

Old 04-22-2005, 05:26 PM

ORIGINAL: et2sub

i sure willlet you veyone know whether it works or not. i will not know til least next week cause part wont be shipped til thursday or friday. thanks
cool dude, hope this will work.

Old 04-22-2005, 06:03 PM

is there any other DOHC head i can get becides the evo. what cars can i get parts from years and makes. one of my friend has gone through alot of mits. eclipse and has parts all over. manifolds, heads, might still have a turbo or two and intercoolers. he would more i likey wouldn't mind biulding a trubo setup for me for fairly cheap if i do most of the work. which is fine by me.

Quick Reply: throttle body spacers