Mitsubishi Galant A sporty mid-sized sedan offering the perspective buyer a change from the normal mid-size sedan class.

UPGRADES

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2005, 06:54 PM
Default UPGRADES

ok i had to start a new thread to make it a little easier on me. i am currently over seas and i don't always get alot of time on the internet. my over all goal with my car is to have a car i could drive everyday but be able to go to an autocross event and do fairly well. i have heard alot of good ideas and it has really got me looking forward to do some work on my ride.

as it sits right now it has an k/N air filter (just the stock replacement) and a nice set of crome 16" with some 225 50 r16. so nothing really speacial yet.

not sure on which way i am going with the engine. was orginal going to keep it n/a but a turbo is so tempting. the suspension is where it all happens for me, so it is most import. i would like to drop it about 1" with some adjustable shocks and lowering springs. any recomandation on brands? maybe some stiffer sway bars? and if i get around to it some cross bars on the strut towers. tha should help stiffen up the chassis a little and should still retain a decent ride quality.

Old 04-22-2005, 07:13 PM
Default RE: UPGRADES

whats your location overseas???

Old 04-22-2005, 09:44 PM

Go with some Tein S-tech Springs and KYB AGX adjustables. The one's made for the Eclipse 3G will work for you too.

Sway bar... only AADCO makes them....

Strut Bar... Freedom Designs... get it at ptuning

Get rid of the chrome wheels and get some light weight 17's forged if you can afford it.

Check out my response on the other thread and respond here and we can talk about turbos and such.

Old 04-23-2005, 03:48 AM

i would say get eibach or tein springs..but if i were u ill go with coilovers for more drop coz an inch isnt really much..thats just me though. how much money u lookin to drop for the car? that determines what brand and what u can do to your car. i agree with the rims..get rid of it! 16" are small and chrome?! need some 17 or 18s. for the engine..u can get cat back exhaust and headers. brand? depends on how much money ur willing to drop. cold air intake.

Old 04-23-2005, 03:51 AM

as of right now i am in iraq and am trying to get some ideas. since i will be coming home on R&R leave in a couple of weeks. when i get a chance i will post a pic of my current ride.

that was alot of the same companies i was thinking about. where is a good site to look up and order some of these parts from? i was thinking about getting rid of the crome wheels myself i only really have them cuase i got one hell of a deal for them. plus they do look really nice on there but yes they are really heavy and you can feel that in the throttle response.

is there any way to swap out the drum brakes in the back for some disk brakes? i really don't like drum brakes i know thay are in the back and don't do alot of the stopping. but all wheel disk looks so much better.

i would like to see about around 200hp when the engine is all said an done as a minimum. my question about this is what all else needs to be change if i add more hp . axles, torgue converters, injectors, fuel pump, this along that nature. you said to have it jetted after it is together correct? so do i just get all of the parts then at one time put it all together? or just keep adding this til i have it all together? i guess i see a prolbem with keeping the engine together if the computer is reading all sorts of unassual reading.

where can get carbon fiber parts? i thinking a hood and trunk lid wouldn't be a bad start and maybe a wing/ spoiler how ever you look at it. the only bad thing about that is i am going to have to have it painted. i am for the most part trying to keep it stock looking as i can becides maybe some ground effects. poeple get to noisey when you have all that stuff on the car and won't leave you alone in minnesota. it is just not something you see everyday if at all. it is also my family car to need to keep that grown up look, and it helps keep the cops offo my back. some of them no me fairly well.

Old 04-23-2005, 02:48 PM

ORIGINAL: 2002es

as of right now i am in iraq and am trying to get some ideas. since i will be coming home on R&R leave in a couple of weeks. when i get a chance i will post a pic of my current ride.

that was alot of the same companies i was thinking about. where is a good site to look up and order some of these parts from? i was thinking about getting rid of the crome wheels myself i only really have them cuase i got one hell of a deal for them. plus they do look really nice on there but yes they are really heavy and you can feel that in the throttle response.

is there any way to swap out the drum brakes in the back for some disk brakes? i really don't like drum brakes i know thay are in the back and don't do alot of the stopping. but all wheel disk looks so much better.

i would like to see about around 200hp when the engine is all said an done as a minimum. my question about this is what all else needs to be change if i add more hp . axles, torgue converters, injectors, fuel pump, this along that nature. you said to have it jetted after it is together correct? so do i just get all of the parts then at one time put it all together? or just keep adding this til i have it all together? i guess i see a prolbem with keeping the engine together if the computer is reading all sorts of unassual reading.

where can get carbon fiber parts? i thinking a hood and trunk lid wouldn't be a bad start and maybe a wing/ spoiler how ever you look at it. the only bad thing about that is i am going to have to have it painted. i am for the most part trying to keep it stock looking as i can becides maybe some ground effects. poeple get to noisey when you have all that stuff on the car and won't leave you alone in minnesota. it is just not something you see everyday if at all. it is also my family car to need to keep that grown up look, and it helps keep the cops offo my back. some of them no me fairly well.
Shameless plug....... www.dnaracing.net I specialize in the Mitsubishi Galant and sell all parts except for the strut bar. I also just recently opened up a VIS Racing account for bodykits and cf trunks and hoods....and will be offering there parts once again...check out my the message board for an on going GB.

It is possiable to do the conversion from rear drum to disc... someone actual did this but before anyone could get a tutorial on how to do it he never showed up. Only thing I was able to find was a parts list and we haven't gotten around to doing this conversion....

http://www.dnaracing.net/thegarage_8...conversion.htm

Now if your goal is to gain 200hp plus out of the 4G64 then you need to start looking to turbo charge it because going all N/A is possiable but alot of engine work would be needed and the price on parts alone will be as much as buying a brand new turbo kit with more potential of hp then going N/A......

So do you still want to go N/A or turbo? I can email you a parts list I got to do a N/A set up with a small shot of nitrous to gain that 200 but alot of internal work will be needed and custom parts to custom high compression pistons.

Old 04-23-2005, 07:23 PM

i guess it is going to be turbo charged. knowing me it would of been any ways so bets to do it the first time. a list of parts need to add a turbo would be a good start for now. not sure if i want to do the engine or suspension first. on my leave it is going to be one or the other. i should about $1000 to get this project started on leave.

i would drop it a little more but i need the clearance for the winter months just in case i need to drive it and i also live out in the country. like my friends found out slam imports and gravely roads don't mix well. a new set of wheels shouldn't be hard to find.

prophet looking at that web site how good of a fit are those body kits? i have seen some that are really bad and require a good about of work to get them to fit correctly. 8g galants remind me alot of the nissian skyline body style which is a very nice look.

Old 04-23-2005, 10:13 PM

ORIGINAL: 2002es

i guess it is going to be turbo charged. knowing me it would of been any ways so bets to do it the first time. a list of parts need to add a turbo would be a good start for now. not sure if i want to do the engine or suspension first. on my leave it is going to be one or the other. i should about $1000 to get this project started on leave.

i would drop it a little more but i need the clearance for the winter months just in case i need to drive it and i also live out in the country. like my friends found out slam imports and gravely roads don't mix well. a new set of wheels shouldn't be hard to find.

prophet looking at that web site how good of a fit are those body kits? i have seen some that are really bad and require a good about of work to get them to fit correctly. 8g galants remind me alot of the nissian skyline body style which is a very nice look.
Kits fit just fine... nothing better then VIS Racing or Extreme Dimension kits out there. Only thing is if you don't get a kit made for the USDM Galant then you need to modify the front impact bar and custom make a new one.

Here is a start to your turbo project....

Going to put up a short and general list for what is needed for a Custom 4G64 Turbo Build for the 8G Galant. Hopefully this will inspire you guys to actually pursue turbo charging the 4G64 Galant like Brandon has inspired me to build my own Galant. Take advantage to his knowledge and research.

Parts List
Turbo
BOV (Blow Off Valve)
Exhaust Manifold
Intercooler
1G Resistor Box
1G 450cc Injectors
Custom Down Pipe
Custom Intake Pipe

Research
1. I perfer to use smaller turbo's. These are based on my own opinions and research. Three turbo's I would use for the Galant 4G64 would be the..
13G: You will find these on the 1G Automatic and Cyclone JDM 4G63t. Full boost at 6500 rpms. Since the 4G64 redlines at 6000 I find this perfect. Spool starts at 2,200 rpms. Capable of 300hp to the wheel.
14b: 1G Manual. Haven't done a whole lot of research other than they are capable turbo's with alot of potential. Will do more research because this will be the turbo I will be using.
16g: EVO III and under turbo. Capable of low boost and very efficient from what I read. These are becoming very popular amoung the DSM crowd and you can find them cheap right now.

2. Resistor Box Concept. I will put up a actual wiring diagram when it is time for me to wire up my Galant. Right now this is just the concept so you can see what it looks like and the general directions.

3. 450cc Eclipse Injectors have a blue top.

4. Exhaust manifold can be from a 1G or 2G but most people perfer a ported and polished 2G because there less prone to cracking. Well a couple more things to ponder. You can use the 1G and 2G mani. but the thing is you won't be able to use your AC. Unless you can figure some way to reroute the whole thing.. Good Luck. But there is hope still. You can use a Exhaust mani from a EVO IV to a EVO VIII. Only thing now is you will have to use a turbo from a EVO IV toa EVO VIII. Not really a problem because now your using a twin scroll Big 16G. Well I personally will need AC so......

5. Intercooler: You can use the Starion Intercooler for a cheap good FMIC. You will of course have to get custom piping done or use radiator hose.

6. Only two BOV's I would suggest. A stock 1G BOV. Don't get a 2G BOV since there made out of plastic. A stock "crushed" BOV is good up to 25psi. Or a HKS SSQV BOV. Since I am going to be venting this is the one to get because of the inside spring design.

7. Intake: You have to custom one for the turbo.
the only other things i would and are:
oil line- the fittings and length of line vary depending on what type of turbo you are using and how you want to route the lines in the engine bay

intercooler piping- which also has to be custom depending on which intercooler you go with and the routing of your turbo intake pipe

intake piping- i used pvc pipe cuz its easy to cut and drill through cuz you will need to reroute bov and the hoses from the valve cover breather

I suggest again that you join our message board becuase you will find all kinds of research that we have already done...

Good luck on the project. I would like to see more 8G 4G64t out there.

Old 04-23-2005, 10:36 PM

SO how much would this list of parts cost for a turbo upgrade? I am glad to hear i can use a 1g or 2g turbo manifold or even evo's stuff.

Old 04-23-2005, 11:06 PM

ORIGINAL: et2sub

SO how much would this list of parts cost for a turbo upgrade? I am glad to hear i can use a 1g or 2g turbo manifold or even evo's stuff.
If you got the hook up.. look in DSM Trader and the other DSM sites you should be able to pick everything up for around $500.00 to a $1,000.00 do most of the work yourself other than tuning and your all set.

Quick Reply: UPGRADES