Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Sportback Newer to the United States, the Lancer line offers a sporty compact sedan, with all of the fine styling of the performance minded Evolution.

09 Lancer Sportback....rust spots...WTF?

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2010, 09:28 AM
Default 09 Lancer Sportback....rust spots...WTF?

Hey!

I have recently purchsed a 2009 Lancer sportback (in Sept. 09). I wash the car regularily (when weather permits, in Alberta Canada) and I have noticed some rust spots on the back tailgate. Also, my mitsu installed rock chip protection is starting to peel in the front. Anyone else see or hear of these issues? I have to take the car in for its first maintenance appt soon, just thought I would see if this is common!

J

Old 02-16-2010, 09:06 PM

I just bought a 2010 Lancer GTS in Tuscaloosa, AL. I've owned it for alittle over 2 weeks now. I washed my car this previous weekend, and i noticed something similar. It was small dots all over my hood, but the dots had orange around them, looked like rust spots to me. I took the vehicle back monday. Found out that the spots was road tar from the car sitting too close to the road when it was at the dealer. If you lick your finger, rub the crap out of it, it all comes off. We checked all of the vehicles they had near the road, and all of them had the same small spots all over it. Needless to say, I have to take the vehicle back tomorrow to have them buff the whole car.

Completely different area, but it could be the same thing. I'd look into the dealership where you bought it if possible and check some of the other cars on the lot.

Old 02-17-2010, 08:45 AM

Update on the rust spots, i just took my car in to get fixed. They said they contacted the plant maybe, the spots are called rail spots. Metal chips from the assembly line they were on falls down on the paint, and rust on top of the paint. I would check into getting them to fix it. Hope this helps.

Old 02-17-2010, 09:37 AM

My car is 3 years old 2008 model I have a rust on my hood because of FLYING DEBRIS from the road. the chips are also 3 years old but no excessive rusting.

DO NOT CLEAN YOUR CAR EVERYWEEK. High pressure water is the safest with no soap.