Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Sportback Newer to the United States, the Lancer line offers a sporty compact sedan, with all of the fine styling of the performance minded Evolution.

17" on an Lancer ES

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2005, 10:55 PM
Default 17" on an Lancer ES

Can anyone tell me if 17" will fit on a 2004 Lancer ES. The tire guy i went too said that he would only put 16" on as the biggest....is that wrong or right?

Old 07-14-2005, 10:32 PM
Default RE: 17" on an Lancer ES

Well i found out 17" fit better then 16" do. and they look a lot better... so if anyone decides to upgrade wheels on a 04 lancer es..17 are teh right wya..ill be posting pics within the next few weeks of my new rims.

Old 10-31-2005, 12:05 AM

i got 18's and have had no problem, even lowered...be careful and get the right lug pattern if u have an es, theyre different from the oz and ralliart

Old 10-31-2005, 12:06 AM

i got 18's and have had no problem, even lowered...be careful and get the right lug pattern if u have an es, theyre different from the oz and ralliart

Old 11-03-2005, 06:27 PM

17's work just fine, I've had them on my ES for over a year now

Old 11-25-2005, 08:41 PM

doesn't the Es come with stock 14" rims?

a safe principle to follow is to only increase your rim size by a max of 2" more than the stock size

also the rolling size should be the same (rim & tyre)

wheel weight must also be considered

too large of a rim and too heavy a wheel can damage the tranny

how does the 17" and even 18" handle according to the above

what tyre sizes do you use?

Old 12-05-2005, 01:28 PM

205/35/18 handles great, theyre ultra light wheels...but if you really want great handling and cheap tires, the stock oz wheels are light as they can be....but theyre too fukin small!!!!!!!

Old 12-11-2005, 08:03 PM

ORIGINAL: slverider04

Can anyone tell me if 17" will fit on a 2004 Lancer ES. The tire guy i went too said that he would only put 16" on as the biggest....is that wrong or right?
Get your wheels somewhere else then. The guy that told you that is full of Sh*t. I know a guy that used to work at a tire shop. Those hard core old school guys tend to stick with sizes closer to stock because its quote-unquote "Safer", even though you can definately fit 17's or even 18's on a Lancer.

Good Luck man,
-Jonny_Doce-

Old 12-15-2005, 11:05 PM

ORIGINAL: jonny_doce

Get your wheels somewhere else then. The guy that told you that is full of Sh*t. I know a guy that used to work at a tire shop. Those hard core old school guys tend to stick with sizes closer to stock because its quote-unquote "Safer", even though you can definately fit 17's or even 18's on a Lancer.

Good Luck man,
-Jonny_Doce-
I wouldn't say that dude

the old school guys stick to sizes close to the stock size to maintain the rolling diameter of the wheel

this is to avoid putting strain on the tranny, especially if it is a CVT tranny

the stock 14" the to maintain the stock rolling diameter on a larger radius rim, the profile would have to be reduced

I think 17's & 18's are definately too large although they can fit

Old 12-17-2005, 04:46 AM

ORIGINAL: venum

ORIGINAL: jonny_doce

Good Luck man,
-Jonny_Doce-
I wouldn't say that dude

the old school guys stick to sizes close to the stock size to maintain the rolling diameter of the wheel

this is to avoid putting strain on the tranny, especially if it is a CVT tranny

the stock 14" the to maintain the stock rolling diameter on a larger radius rim, the profile would have to be reduced

I think 17's & 18's are definately too large although they can fit

Well, yes they do lower the profile on 17 & 18" wheels. Do you know why? Its done on purpose to keep the rolling circumfrence.
Haven't you ever noticed an 18" wheel and tire next to a stock wheel and tire? Even though the rim on the 18 is bigger, when theyre next to each other, theyre still the same size (they kept the rolling circumfrence)
If you try to put a 20" wheel on a small car, you cant keep the same rolling circumfrence because the wheel is too big.......is this what you meant by not maintaining the rolling circumfrence?

**(Rolling Circumfrence is the circumfrence of the tire when its on the wheel, not the wheel itself like you said)**

Rolling Circumfrence - When the wheel and tire are put on a load......another words on the car, on the ground, making the bottom of the tire warp like normal.

Actual Circumfrence - When the wheel and tire are "free hanging", (off the ground, or off of the car all together) making this measurement different

It can also be measured by the distance a tire travels at one revolution, but since they keep the rolling circumference, the distance remains the same.

Heres where i prove it.....the following link is about tractor tires, I purposely put this here to prove a point, because tractor tires and wheels are huge...
this site talks about different tires with the same rolling circumfrence.(ALL THE WHEELS ARE DIFFERENT SIZES, AND THEY STILL HAVE THE SAME ROLLING CIRCUMFRENCE, MEANING THAT IF YOU GET BIGGER WHEELS AND SMALLER TIRES, YOU STILL HAVE THE SAME ROLLING CIRCUMFERENCE)
http://www.firestoneag.com/rci.pdf#search='rolling%20circumference'

What does all this mean?
If big wheels have the same rolling circumference as stock, it wont put any more stress on your tranny.
The only thing that MIGHT, would be a heaver rim.
Think about it, if larger rims strained transmissions that bad, wouldnt everyone be using stock size rims?

So...... i didnt come in here to knock on anyone, i came in here to answer this guy's question. But just a little advice from me to you, get your **** together man. If youre gonna tell someone some advice, at least get all of your facts straight, to avoid another person proving you wrong.
So, with all due respect, I proved my point, so im gonna squash this issue right now.

To the guy that had the question about getting bigger rims - good luck man,
Laters,

Quick Reply: 17" on an Lancer ES