Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Sportback Newer to the United States, the Lancer line offers a sporty compact sedan, with all of the fine styling of the performance minded Evolution.

17" on an Lancer ES

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2006, 09:46 PM
Default RE: 17" on an Lancer ES

i have sorta the same question except i have a 2002 lancer es and i need to know if i can fit 17s on it with out having to file out the wheel wells and stuff basicly im just looking for something to raise my body kit a little bit it sits about 3 inches from the ground and i can barely get up my drive so i need to raise it up a little bit if you have any ideas i need em haha

Old 02-09-2006, 01:14 AM

what about adjustable coil over systems?? anyway, you'll be fine w/ 17's...

Old 02-12-2006, 11:42 PM

ORIGINAL: jonny_doce
What does all this mean?
If big wheels have the same rolling circumference as stock, it wont put any more stress on your tranny.
The only thing that MIGHT, would be a heaver rim.
Think about it, if larger rims strained transmissions that bad, wouldnt everyone be using stock size rims?
That is what I meant dude

Sorry I did not explain it as detailed as I should have

basically once the rolling circumference of the wheel is maintained, he should have no probs

light weight rims are always better when going large diameter rims - 16's, 17's & 18's

So...... i didnt come in here to knock on anyone, i came in here to answer this guy's question.
neither did I

But just a little advice from me to you, get your **** together man. If youre gonna tell someone some advice, at least get all of your facts straight, to avoid another person proving you wrong.
So, with all due respect, I proved my point, so im gonna squash this issue right now.
I have no problem with being proven wrong, it's all a part of learning

there was no issue to squash

it's all good man

cheers

Old 04-13-2006, 10:22 PM

17's will definately fit with low pros

Old 04-27-2006, 12:18 AM

As long as you don't go over .4" either side of the OEM sizing, there shouldn't be too much of a problem. No noticable difference in the sppedo, no more stress on internals, but a way nicer look....

And for all you geeks out there, if you really want to do the homework yourself, here goes.....

Just say your original tires are 195/70R15, to do the math and find out the overall diameter of the tire you would use this calculation:

Width divided by 25.4 multiplied by the aspect ratio and add it to the rim size.

So it would be ((195/25.4)x70%)+15 that would make the overall diameter 28.05"

For the 18's it would be:

((205/25.4)*35%)+18 The overall diameter is 28.89"

Seeing as the overall difference is more then .4 of an inch, you may notice a difference in speedometer readings, and while it may not seem like much, it would add extra stress on the vehicle. I honestly don't know the OEM sizing on Lancers, I am ashamed to admit, but if the numbers I stated were dead on, then 18's might not be the best idea for longevity, but DAMN would they look good. With that said, a set of 205/40R17's have an overall size of 28.29", and with that being within .4 of an inch to the original size, there would be absolutely no effects on the speedometer, fuel economy, or the engine wear. I think to hit it off with 18's, you would have to have a rubber band on the tires. A 205/30R18 might be the proper fitment for 18's, being right at the borderline of 28.4". Hope that helped a bit, it's nice to know I actually learned something from installing tires... LOL

Old 10-20-2012, 10:08 PM

Anyone know if 225 wide tires can fit on a back ES 2004?
I currently have 205/40/17, front and rear (btw they fit perfectly on mine and I haven`t had any problems with them), and just want to upgrade them with new ones and probably a bit bigger. I know that you can't install wider that 215 on a front, but not sure about rear side. Anyone know?