Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Sportback Newer to the United States, the Lancer line offers a sporty compact sedan, with all of the fine styling of the performance minded Evolution.

1st oil change. any suggestions?

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2009, 12:30 AM
Default 1st oil change. any suggestions?

its time for an oil change for my 09 lance gts it has 28k miles the last owner used 10w30 pennzoil on it and im thinking about switching to synthetic. good idea?? what type of oil should i use i have read castrol gtx and mobil 1 keep coming up as the most reccomended synthetic and this amsoil brand i have just recently discovered i dont know if its significantly better. i wanna do this oil change myself i havent looked at the manual or under the car is this car a difficult change? btw i live in texas so the temp is not a big issue also whjat im mainly trying to find out is if switching to synthetic is worth it and if so what brand? thank u all ahead of time joining this forum is the best thing i have done since i bought my lancer.

Old 01-23-2009, 02:27 AM
Default RE: 1st oil change. any suggestions?

with a new car like that. i would not worry about synthetic. you wont see the benefits of the synthetic in a new engine like that. i am a believer in synthetic being somewhat of a con. but that is a whole other discussion on another thread.

the oil change will be easy as it is with most cars. its such a regular maintenance on vehicles that the manufactures actually build them to be easy to work on to improve efficency in their repair shops.

for your heat 10w30 is a good choice.
castrol GTX is a good brand.
mobil makes good synthetic but im unsure about their normal oil.
i like fram filters just because they are easy to put on with that rubber grip. and their quality is good too.

dont ever buy cheap engine oil.

im curious. do you have a vehicle history on the maintenance preformed by the previous owner?

28,000 miles on a 2009 is a LOT. and if the car has been driven that hard, i would make sure that the oil gets done on a sever maintenance schedule.

you might want to look into if doing your own oil changes will void your warranty as the company will have no record as to when the last maintenance was, and if it was done correctly. to take it into a dealership only costs a few bucks more then doing the change yourself after you factor in costs of purchasing oil and filters. plus you will get a standard inspection and youll see the health of your car put in writing by an authorized mitsubishi shop. im a big advocate for that myself.

hope that helps.

Old 01-23-2009, 01:44 PM

Well i went to wal mart today in order to buy all the stuff i need to do an oil change and it just so happened that 2 of my old high school buddies are running the auto department of wal mart so i had them do it (got hooked up) i eneded up going with the synthetic blend castrol syntec. i apologize my lancer is actually an 08 but even with that the milage is on the higher end. they recommended 5w20 so i went with that. i apprieciate the help as my original plan was to do it myself using your suggestions Brody.

Old 01-23-2009, 03:47 PM

my point was that you should have taken it to a dealership. im not sure that Wal-Mart oil service is recognised as an authorized fluid service. all im saying is that they could play the legal card and say you just voided your warranty by having your car serviced by an unauthorized shop. or that you did not follow the suggested service and have it taken to a shop that puts all that on file for your warranty information. i would be making a phone call to mitsubushi and check.

Old 01-23-2009, 07:00 PM

He didn't void a warranty by going somewhere else. You can change the oil yourself as long as you keep all your receipts in good legible condition. Granted, it's more bulletproof to use a dealer and have THEIR receipts in your folder, but still.

Old 01-28-2009, 05:34 PM

ORIGINAL: rodriguez2432

its time for an oil change for my 09 lance gts it has 28k miles the last owner used 10w30 pennzoil on it and im thinking about switching to synthetic. good idea?? what type of oil should i use i have read castrol gtx and mobil 1 keep coming up as the most reccomended synthetic and this amsoil brand i have just recently discovered i dont know if its significantly better. i wanna do this oil change myself i havent looked at the manual or under the car is this car a difficult change? btw i live in texas so the temp is not a big issue also whjat im mainly trying to find out is if switching to synthetic is worth it and if so what brand? thank u all ahead of time joining this forum is the best thing i have done since i bought my lancer.

Read it and you will know what oil to use.

http://www.carcraft.com/techarticles...oil/index.html