Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Sportback Newer to the United States, the Lancer line offers a sporty compact sedan, with all of the fine styling of the performance minded Evolution.

2002 Lancer ES timing belt

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2008, 12:26 PM
Default 2002 Lancer ES timing belt

Hi,
A few days ago I tried to start my Lancer, I heard a sound and the car never started.
After checking a few things I found that there was a problem with the timing belt.
I changed the timing belt and water pump but I couldn't find the timing belt position. I'm pretty sure I found the correct mark on the timing belt pulley butI'm not sure about the one on the camshaft pulley. At the camshaft pulley I have 2 marksne is a I (mark) at the edge of the pulley and the othe one is a O (circle) on the oposite position from the mark. I tried both positions and the car doesn't start. Can I make more damage tothe engine if I keep trying to start it?
Is it posible that I bend the valves even if was not driving the car? What should I heard if I bend the valves or how can I recognize a bend valves?
Any other suggestion????
Thanks in advance

Old 03-19-2008, 09:51 AM
Default RE: 2002 Lancer ES timing belt

I am not sure are doind I recommend that you a HAYNES Repair manual they will show the correct timing belt position and by the way before you start the Car again did you ADJUST THE VALVE TIMING or check the cylinder head.. you cant just change the water pump and timing belt without adjusting the valves.

Old 03-20-2008, 05:34 PM

if you pop off the valve cover you should be able to see if you bent valves. look for stems facing the wrong direction (any direction but straight.) also you should find some floaters in the top end. the chances that you got away without bending and valves is slim to none.

Old 03-24-2008, 03:45 PM

hey man. the timing mraks that you line up the cam gear should be on the head of the car right beside the cam gear. the I stands for intake and the O is for the exhaust. line these up with the marks on the head and you should be good. dont try to start the car until you have done this or you WILL bend or break a valve. it will start knocking if you bend it so be careful. i hope this helps. good luck.

Old 03-28-2008, 04:55 PM

^ it sounds like it might be too late, he already tried starting it before it was all lined up. for his sake i hope the valves took the brunt of the damage. then it would be a head instead of a short block.