Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Sportback Newer to the United States, the Lancer line offers a sporty compact sedan, with all of the fine styling of the performance minded Evolution.

2008 Lance GTS

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2007, 02:23 PM
Default 2008 Lance GTS

Hi all,

I'm looking to purchase a 2008 Lancer GTS. Basically the type of feedback that I'm looking for is what current owners have to say about this model. Any pluses, drawbacks, issues, etc. I've done some research and gone out for a test drive and I'm pretty happy with it's potential. Unfortunately because it's so new there isn't a whole lot of details even through consumer reports. Any help is appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

BP

Old 06-20-2007, 02:33 PM
Banned
Default RE: 2008 Lance GTS

Cant give a lot of info but heres what i know.

The CVT transmission is pointless. If you have a heavy foot you will get **** poor MPG. Get a 5spd.

Old 06-20-2007, 03:01 PM

Please do not buy the GTS it is heavy and CVT doesn't really do anything
Brakes and Body kit added to the weight of the car on the GTS
Brembo brakes are too heavy for car andthe 2.0 liter engine.

T o enjoy the Lancer buy an ES fully loaded with of coursee with a manual tranny (if you know how to drive a manual)

Manual because you really feel the difference of the MIVEC engine when driving and you really control the car instead of just stop and go Auto thing.

Just little warning the rear tires and engine makes a little sound but not terrible.
stiffer suspension makes that weird sound coming from the rear tiresand engine exhaust manifold is pretty close to the fire wall.

In order to get rid of this engine noise try buying a Aluminum sheet made by NASA and also used by tunersfor extra protection for noise and engine fire
this will reduce or will get rid of the engine sound coming from the MIVEC engine. I think just wait until you reach 100,000 miles before installing the Alloy sheet enjoy the warranty first.

The noise are not annoying just part of a well design Rally car for the real world. GOODLUCK you will enjoy the Lancer

by sheets here http://www.sportcompactonly.com/perf...minum%20sheets

Old 06-20-2007, 09:10 PM

If you want it all, buy the top-of-the-line GTS. If not then just settle on a base model.

If you live on a city in which stops signs are everywhere then go for CVT, but if you usually use it on expressways then settle for manual. That if you care on gas expenses though, but if not then 5-speed on city streets will definitely smokes out the automatics on green lights.

Old 07-03-2007, 11:57 PM

I got the gts and i love it. But now that i think about it i wish i would got the ES. The ES is the same as the GTS but without the luxury.

Old 07-04-2007, 08:07 AM

ORIGINAL: bluegts

I got the gts and i love it. But now that i think about it i wish i would got the ES. The ES is the same as the GTS but without the luxury.
These are the few obvious features that the GTS has over ES.

Paddle shifter
18" alloy wheel
front air dam
lower side air dam
rear spoiler
sport tuned suspension
automatic AC climate control
bigger disc brake diameter

Most of the differences can be found in its body/chassis/suspension specifications. fyi.

ES weights lighter than GTS, so it will be a big factor that ES could be fuel effiecient compared to GTS, because of that lesser wieght factor.

Old 07-04-2007, 10:06 AM

the CVT is excellent.

get whichever you want.

Old 07-06-2007, 03:27 AM

ORIGINAL: LancerGTS08

ORIGINAL: bluegts

These are the few obvious features that the GTS has over ES.

Paddle shifter
18" alloy wheel
front air dam
lower side air dam
rear spoiler
sport tuned suspension
automatic AC climate control
bigger disc brake diameter

Most of the differences can be found in its body/chassis/suspension specifications. fyi.

ES weights lighter than GTS, so it will be a big factor that ES could be fuel effiecient compared to GTS, because of that lesser wieght factor.
thanks... well i didn't get the paddle shifter, i like to use the standard transmission more. and the alloy rims are coming out soon and being replace.

Old 07-06-2007, 11:29 AM

This is my opinion here and you can choose to take or leave it. I have owned Lexus's, Audi's, and Beemers. All new when i got them. I used to live in Austria so i got great deals on these cars. Right off the bat comparison between these cars and a Lancer GTS is pointless. "But" (my last car was an A4 2005) comparing it to an A4 this car does a great job. Somewhere i read that it takes 8 sec 0-60? Not true. I do have the CVT GTS, until now no complaints here! I can easily do far less than 8 seconds from 0-60 on manual shifting with CVT (and this is not red line! usually 4-5k rpm).
If you want all percs of the GTS i would def say buy it. If you want the basic model, buy it as well. In overall this is a great car. My reasoning behind buying the GTS? Well mods for this car are taking their time to hit the market, and personally i hate driving base models.
The engine is the weakest part of the car. They could of easily bumped up the HP, and given it a little more kick. Also another thing a lot of people don't realize (heavy feet), is that the CVT acts as a single gear (feels like it too), if you release your foot slightly while accelerating the CVT will kick in the gears faster (something i learned from driving Audi's). This will def give you a greater acceleration. The first 3 gears on the CVT seem laggy at first but it does a good job of incrementing around 4 gear.

Again, CVT for me worked! personal preference is everything, so go with what you like, not what others are saying.

2 cents.

Old 07-06-2007, 11:46 AM

CVT is definatly a great thing, i have it on my 07 Nissan Altima. But it does not give you that kick that you want, usually i have to shift into tiptronic in order to pass on the highway, to get that fast acceleration where the CVT would take longer to increase the RPM and get the car going. But CVT is definatly nice and get it if you can!