Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Sportback Newer to the United States, the Lancer line offers a sporty compact sedan, with all of the fine styling of the performance minded Evolution.

Anyone drove both 2009 ES (SE in Canada) and GTS models?

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2009, 06:41 PM
Default Anyone drove both 2009 ES (SE in Canada) and GTS models?

I am asking myself whether I shall pay extra thousands to get an GTS or stay with an ES as my budget is a little tight.

As I can see the biggest problem with ES model is its slow and loud accelaration due to the CVT transmission it is using. I testdrove other brand cars with 2.0 L engine, I didn't feel slow at all.

People recommended me to try GTS which has a 2.4L engine. I have not tried yet.

But just wanna ask anyone who has driven both ES and GTS, how what do you feel? Is there a huge difference on accelaration, Or just merely a little better? Afterall GTS is using CVT too.

Other than the accelaration, any other advantages to compare the basic functions between these 2 models. I am not talking about the add-ons (sun and sound, blue tooth, etc) but the basic practical functions and performances.

Thanks!

Old 03-25-2009, 07:49 PM

have you considered the ES with a manual transmission?

Old 03-25-2009, 08:31 PM
Wink

Originally Posted by mitsupartsman.com
have you considered the ES with a manual transmission?

Yes, you are right. If I were the driver of this car, I would definitely try the manual transmission. But this is a car for my wife. She doesn't get used to manual transmission.

Old 03-27-2009, 09:14 AM

The ES model is not slow. I test drove the Automatic and Manual.

The Automatic you have to be a little more aggressive on stepping on the gas pedal and used 4th gear to Overtake or pass a car in front of you using the paddle shifter. I don't remember if the Dash board will indicate what gear you on the CVT tranny.

It feel slow on 5th gear and MIVEC engine is made of Aluminum that don't suppress engine noise pretty good compared with regular engine made of other metal.

I have the ES model with 45,000 miles I haven't tune up my car or put any performance parts. I have a manual tranny and I don't like Automatics.

The Lancer wants to be handled like a rally car on turns. It likes to be handled rough to tell you frankly. You will learn how to drive again on this car because you will never feel if you are going fast or slow. You don't feel anything inside the cabin and you can only hear 2 things the engine and when you open the rear window you will hear the tire sound. A common problems on all newer cars. To fix it you have to buy the under carriage rear Defuser from RRM it looks the one on the evo but this is made for base Lancers.

2008 and 2009 models are the same except for the GTS. if you have a tight budget and not so good credit score or history I will take the ES model or Base model

Advise don't buy a new car if your budget is limited. please don't make your life suffer for a piece of car. I learned my lesson before and I regret it.

ask for lowest interest rate. don't go beyond 10 percent

GOOD LUCK you will love the Lancer and you will notice it when you drive it.

the sway on the Lancer is fiction I will tell you more next time

Last edited by FAX68; 03-27-2009 at 09:38 AM.
Old 03-29-2009, 07:03 PM
Smile Thank you Fax68

Originally Posted by FAX68
The ES model is not slow. I test drove the Automatic and Manual.

The Automatic you have to be a little more aggressive on stepping on the gas pedal and used 4th gear to Overtake or pass a car in front of you using the paddle shifter. I don't remember if the Dash board will indicate what gear you on the CVT tranny.

It feel slow on 5th gear and MIVEC engine is made of Aluminum that don't suppress engine noise pretty good compared with regular engine made of other metal.

I have the ES model with 45,000 miles I haven't tune up my car or put any performance parts. I have a manual tranny and I don't like Automatics.

The Lancer wants to be handled like a rally car on turns. It likes to be handled rough to tell you frankly. You will learn how to drive again on this car because you will never feel if you are going fast or slow. You don't feel anything inside the cabin and you can only hear 2 things the engine and when you open the rear window you will hear the tire sound. A common problems on all newer cars. To fix it you have to buy the under carriage rear Defuser from RRM it looks the one on the evo but this is made for base Lancers.

2008 and 2009 models are the same except for the GTS. if you have a tight budget and not so good credit score or history I will take the ES model or Base model

Advise don't buy a new car if your budget is limited. please don't make your life suffer for a piece of car. I learned my lesson before and I regret it.

ask for lowest interest rate. don't go beyond 10 percent

GOOD LUCK you will love the Lancer and you will notice it when you drive it.

the sway on the Lancer is fiction I will tell you more next time
Thank you dude for sharing your experience. And I think we will probably go with ES model. looking forward to hearing your fiction too.