Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Sportback Newer to the United States, the Lancer line offers a sporty compact sedan, with all of the fine styling of the performance minded Evolution.

Black Stock Rims

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2009, 05:02 PM
Default Black Stock Rims

Used Plasti-Dip to paint the stock GTS rims black and I really like how it turned out. Also did the front grill.

Here are some pictures.

*** is there a way to not make the pictures ridiculously large?

Name:  MD09002.jpg
Views: 1391
Size:  118.6 KB
Name:  MD09003.jpg
Views: 1950
Size:  104.4 KB
Name:  MD09004-1.jpg
Views: 3626
Size:  166.2 KB
Name:  MD09007.jpg
Views: 1612
Size:  137.0 KB
Name:  MD09008.jpg
Views: 1889
Size:  92.3 KB
Name:  MD09009.jpg
Views: 1113
Size:  163.0 KB

Name:  MD09001.jpg
Views: 758
Size:  68.5 KB

Last edited by Alpha7; 05-18-2009 at 05:10 PM.
Old 05-19-2009, 01:12 PM

Well it looks nice but you can see the roughness of the paint
you should have done professionally like putting a Primer first than the paint then the finishing gloss. You just ruin a very expensive stock rims.

there are rims for sale that are cheap with red stripes on the side Made in the Philippines.
They are usually more durable than Chinese or Taiwanese made rims or mags.

We call it Mag on the tracks not rims FYI.

Old 05-19-2009, 03:13 PM

plasti-dip can be removed with out any damage to the surface that was coated.

it normally has a "textured" finish to it.

Old 05-19-2009, 04:44 PM
Super Moderator

I like how it looks, just black out the headlights now.

Old 05-19-2009, 05:17 PM

needs some clearcoating-give it a shine...some of that stuff you used went on dry hence the rough spots.

Old 05-19-2009, 06:43 PM

My headlights are already tinted... plasti-dipping the headlights would be a bad idea though.

Here is a pic
Name:  hid6.jpg
Views: 695
Size:  236.9 KB

Originally Posted by BEAT
Well it looks nice but you can see the roughness of the paint
you should have done professionally like putting a Primer first than the paint then the finishing gloss. You just ruin a very expensive stock rims.
It looks a lot better black then silver, and if i REALLY cared a ton I could add another coat or two and get rid of the roughness if those few spots... But seriously, it is not a show car and who is going to notice a small rough spot when I'm driving around? You can only notice it from a foot or two away if the car is stationary.

And I like the flat black look, I wouldn't do glossy.

And why pay $1k - $2k for new rims when I can do this for $25? or even getting them powercoated for a few hundred. I would rather not spend thousands of dollars on a car I still need to pay off. This way it looks unique and I don't spend a ton on it.

Old 05-19-2009, 07:31 PM
Super Moderator

Oh I didnt see in the other pics if you blacked out the headlamps, do you have hids? Also did you do the tailights too?

Old 05-19-2009, 07:32 PM

Yeh plasti dipping it would **** them up, Especially since tinting the headlights is illegal anyways...Rears arent illegal as long as the light can pass through the plasticW/tint bright enough....
Tint is easily taken off. sprays or stains, etc... are not

Old 05-20-2009, 08:19 AM

You can take out the roughness by rubbing compound. I forgot the exact name but you can buy it at any auto parts.

You have snow!

no need really to perfect the paint on your rims. the snow and salt will eat anyways before summer.
you might repaint the rims almost every year. just don't use sand paper to avoid scratching your rims.
Actually the paint protects the rims and you just gave me an idea. Thanks

I am planning to do that on my car.

ADVISE: Buy a colored Lug Nuts it looks good on black rims and add a little pin stripes around the rims if you can do that.
color your calipers too.

Last edited by BEAT; 05-20-2009 at 08:23 AM.
Old 05-20-2009, 01:30 PM

Originally Posted by BEAT
You can take out the roughness by rubbing compound. I forgot the exact name but you can buy it at any auto parts.

You have snow!

no need really to perfect the paint on your rims. the snow and salt will eat anyways before summer.
you might repaint the rims almost every year. just don't use sand paper to avoid scratching your rims.
Actually the paint protects the rims and you just gave me an idea. Thanks

I am planning to do that on my car.

ADVISE: Buy a colored Lug Nuts it looks good on black rims and add a little pin stripes around the rims if you can do that.
color your calipers too.
No offense your wrong on a few spots.....
Scratching rims(sanding) will create an adhesion..Which you need, So I personally would wetsand it with 320 so the stock finish will come off. then take only High temp spray can primer + paint to it if you cant afford Powdercoating.To protect your paint use clearcoat-Which I suggest taking to a bodyshop-Clearcoat is an evil little thing if you have never sprayed it before. The plasti dip worked out for the time being but it isnt being protected ( Clearcoat ) is a protectant.

Quick Reply: Black Stock Rims