Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Sportback Newer to the United States, the Lancer line offers a sporty compact sedan, with all of the fine styling of the performance minded Evolution.

Climate Control Temperature Knob Fix

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2009, 07:16 PM
Default Climate Control Temperature **** Fix

Just wanted to let anyone know about my experience with the '02 Lancer I bought recently. The temp **** and **** shaft were broke when I bought it. I did a bunch of research on the internet and here's what I did: I bought a new **** (and an under-dash gear mod kit to prevent the **** from breaking again) from the dealership. Parts were fairly cheap and installation was simple. I had to buy a control box at a salvage yard for $40 to replace the broken shaft. The control box wasn't too difficult to remove and replace. I got everything put back together and it's working, but......the **** is still stiffer than I was hoping. I have no way of knowing how much good the mod kit did since the **** was broke when I bought it and don't know exactly how stiff it was in the first place. Now that I can flip back and forth between hot and cold settings it feels like the stiffness is inside the box under the dash that the mod kit attaches to. I've seen a procedure somewhere on the internet that explains how to clean the track inside the box and install a filter, but it involves a lot of work that I'm not willing to do. Just wanted to let you know in case you were thinking about tackling the same problem on your car. Good luck.

Old 09-23-2009, 05:46 PM

do a search. been talked about before.

theres an updated linkage to decrease needed force. and an updated box in case thats not enough.

Old 06-21-2010, 03:27 PM
xRx
Question

Hi, I found this website today. Glad to be here. I have a lancer 03. Now, the temp **** is giving me the same problem you have. There is a TSB issued by Mitsubishi in 2004 about this. I found this TSB on the internet but I have misplaced it. So, you have to search for it. Mitsubishi is keeping it quiet. Could be a silent re-call thing. I saw a dealer about it, it was diagnosed as temp dial problem. I am trying to DIY myself. Can anyone point me in the right direction, or recommend repair manuels?.

Old 07-11-2010, 10:19 PM
Van

xRx, Not sure if you know this is an older thread or not, but what you really need is the new updated heater blend door kit. It's been out for awhile now. The part is cheap, but to install it you'll need to remove the dash. Which means you're evacuating the a/c system. It's really not that bad, but I've done hundreds of them...

Disassembling and cleaning it isn't the right fix. Mitsu did have us cleaning them at first, lol.

If it's bound up bad, it'll break the **** off the heater control assy. You'll want the updated linkage and possibly the temp cable too, if it's bent.

Old 04-09-2011, 01:23 AM

I had same problem ... bought gear kit from dealer for something like $25.

Shafts needed for repair broken control panel are available on ebay for around $20.

Old 11-08-2011, 08:53 AM

Help! I can't figure out how to release the two climate control cables from their plastic mounting posts (not the ends of the cables, but the cable clamps). Tried sqeezing the black clips to no avail. Anyone, please?