Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Sportback Newer to the United States, the Lancer line offers a sporty compact sedan, with all of the fine styling of the performance minded Evolution.

My Lancer Will Not Start

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2010, 12:00 AM

I have mentioned this sound to the service manager where the car was bought. My issue is that since it is intermittent, I might not be able to duplicate the issue when I bring it in.

It may be true that a reflash is required. But, in the off chance this could help alleviate the issue they should have done it the moment you had the car come in or replaced the ECU even with a temporary to have yours investigated.

I'm going to try to find the trigger of the clunking sound and show it to the dealer. I'll post if I find it.

Good Luck......I really like the car too......

Old 04-13-2011, 07:54 AM
Default Similar issue

To add to that, I just purchased a new 2011 gts 3 weeks ago and it seems to be having similar issues. Apparently Mitsubishi hasn't fixed the problem from the 2010 model. It has difficulty starting, taking several cranks before firing up, usually occuring on colder rainy days. This hasn't happened on all rainy days, but it's happened three times during since I've had the car. The first service check two weeks ago turned up nothing and since then, the hard start has occurred twice more. I am heading to the dealer today and speaking with the district manager of Mitsubishi who happens to be going there and see what he will do.

If the noise you hear when turning happens only once after starting up the car, I think it would be safe to assume that it's the abs self test kicking in (according to Internet research). If there is no noise during regular driving and turns then I don't think there is a problem. You can test it by parking somewhere with space ahead of you, turning off the car, starting it again and driving straight without moving the steering wheel and listen for the same noise.

Old 04-13-2011, 04:31 PM

Haaaa. my 2010 lancer has this problem still... the one mechanic at the dealer said it isn't a problem so they wont do anything. yeah right.... try reselling a car that has a hard time starting. Good luck with that. If they wont do anything, i WILL be getting a lawyer. This is the 4th time i am taking it in. I will definitely not be buying a lancer again... thats for sure. Ford fiesta looks decent. Any other suggestions? I love how the lancer looks though... :/

Old 01-09-2012, 11:13 PM

I am also having troubles with my 2010 gts. I cannot start the car due to the fact it will not ignite. The engine cranks but no ignition, sometimes when it does ignite it is very weak.

I live in Canada and no matter what type of day, wet,dry,cold it happens every 10 starts.

So far I was tried something out of the blue - don't use your fog lights, when you do, the ignition problem begins. I dont know give that a try. I'm basically trying everything I can to reduce this embarrassment.

Old 01-10-2012, 09:26 AM

Originally Posted by Jayden905
I am also having troubles with my 2010 gts. I cannot start the car due to the fact it will not ignite. The engine cranks but no ignition, sometimes when it does ignite it is very weak.

I live in Canada and no matter what type of day, wet,dry,cold it happens every 10 starts.

So far I was tried something out of the blue - don't use your fog lights, when you do, the ignition problem begins. I dont know give that a try. I'm basically trying everything I can to reduce this embarrassment.

As an update, having owned the car for almost a year now, i was fortunate enough to have only experienced this a few times. I've found that the hard start occurs (80% of the time) during windy rainstorms, and only that. It started fine in recent 20 degree, and summer's 90 degree weather. Being that only a combination of BOTH rain and wind causes this, leads me to think that the water is being blown into the engine compartment in places it shouldn't be. Unfortunately, my dealer could not replicate this problem when I left it with them overnight, so the problem continues to be a mystery. If anyone resolves this, please share.

Another thing you could do is power on the car, then let the fuel pump run for several seconds before firing up the car. If the problem recurs, then you know it isn't a fuel delivery problem. You may also wanna check out your starter or spark plugs to ensure they're not faulty.

Old 03-30-2012, 12:21 PM
Unhappy Help!

Hello... I know you guys all posted these complaints a loooong time ago but, I have been having the SAME EXACT issues since the week I purchased my 2009 Lancer. I am still dealing with the same issue... and nobody is helping me. I am beyond frustrated.. and ready to tell them to take the car back... it's pointless to be paying all this money on a car that 'starts when it feels like it'... SERIOUSLY!!??? Then they want me to 'duplicate the issue' well... geeezzzzz.. that's kind of hard to do when you have NO IDEA when the tempermental car will pull it's attitude out and decide not to start. There is no relevanance to the times it decides to not start.. no weather, no hills, there is not ONE THING similar that plays a factor in this. Oh sure.. I will just call a tow truck to come pick me and my car (that I'm still making payments on).. pay for that.. and call off work for it too.. then be stuck with no car.. That sounds very logical!!! UGHHHHH!!!! PLEASE HELP!!!!!

Old 02-09-2013, 02:36 PM

I also have a problem with my 2005 Mit Galant, 42,000mile, car not starting...had the crankshift sensor change, fuel pump, spark plugs,etc...Nothing fixed the problem..car was towed to Mitsubishi dealer...they found nothing wrong but yet went on to fix the camshaft sensor...cost me with labor and parts $453.00....I picked up the car and the problem still continued...I brought it back and they say there is nothing they could do..they told me to go back to where i bought the new battery, I replaced it with a new one, nothing happened. My car is at the shop at this time and they still can find the solution.. My car is still at the shop (2/12/13)....They can't seem to find the problem....last try will be the timing belt.....let's hope it resolves the issue....Did you get any results on your car?

Last edited by flavor0128; 02-12-2013 at 06:17 PM. Reason: Added current status
Old 02-20-2013, 10:07 PM
Default Frustrating is an understatement

I have had my 2011 Lancer since August 2011. I've experienced the same no start issue as everyone else. I also have noticed that it usually happened more when it was damp. I would take it in, they didn't find anything. Take it in, they wouldn't find anything wrong. They have updated and flashed the computer. For a while I didn't have a problem. On Tuesday, I had the same issue but it wasn't damp, just frigid. Tried starting the Lancer twice. Finally after stepping on the gas it was able to start. I agree with everyone else. This starting issue is frustrating. Bad part for me, the closest Mitsubishi dealership is 90 minutes away. I can't take my car there on a whim when I am having issues.

Old 02-21-2013, 11:04 AM

Honestly I am down with mitsubishi and will be trading my car in when the dodge dart gt comes out. Mine does this bi weekly.. I have had it in the garage more then 5 times for this issue. Each time the replace something but it doesn't fix it. My dealer offered me 2k over blue book so I am taking that and getting out. Its embarrassing when your NEW car won't start, but your coworkers used car starts right up. The other day I had to try and start it 3 times ( 30 seconds of it just cranking) before it turned over.

Last edited by aimbdd; 02-21-2013 at 11:06 AM.
Old 05-15-2013, 08:01 PM
Angry

I have been having the same issue with my lancer as well. I looked all over the internet for people experiencing the same thing and just now found it. I bought my 2012 lancer es brand new 7 miles. A few months after getting it, i started having issues. A new car should start right up. Mine takes too long in my opinion to start up. A few times i thought it wasn't goingto start at all. It doesn't do it every time, but just when it wants to (which is a lot). It will do it no matter what the temperature, in a garage or outside. Ive taken it in at least twice and complained to them more than that. Of course the dealership couldn't give me an answer. They did tests and pulled a lancer off the lot with 100,000 mi on it and got it to do the same thing (not even comparable to a new car!). The dealer guys were trying to say its normal and the engine has to lube itself up yada yada in certain temps (im not buying it). The lady there was on my side though saying "no, that is not normal." Mitsubishi tells me to tap the accelerator when starting the car to prevent this delayed starting (ok i should once again not have to do that on a new car). Now not only is my car doing that, it also is producing a strong fuel smell through the heater vents (i only note this when im outside, not parked in the garage since its a confined space and the fuel smell is more likely to fill up the garage) and it doesn't do it all the time. Well i took it in and they pulled the spark plugs. They said the spark plugs look like they came off a car with 40,000 mi on it (my car only has 14,000 and i dont drive it hard). They replaced the spark plugs but the fuel smell is still going on (the dealership says this isnt abnormal??) and still having starting issues. Mitsubishi is of no help either and i dont even know where to go from here.

Quick Reply: My Lancer Will Not Start