Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Sportback Newer to the United States, the Lancer line offers a sporty compact sedan, with all of the fine styling of the performance minded Evolution.

New car break in clarification

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2007, 10:18 AM
Default New car break in clarification

After reading thru the posts regarding new motor break in I am still not 100% sure about how to proceed. I am still a bit sceptable about this artical ( http://mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm )since i have found no other information to back it up except what i have read on this board. Even did a search on the "car talk" website and only found comments to the contrary.

I will be taking delivery of my GTS CVT tomorrow, and it will befresh off the truck w/ no miles.

I will have about a 150 mile drive from the dealer to my house thru the high dessert ( some curvy mountain peaks and long straights).

If I understand correctly, i should drive hard in 2nd or 3rd gear for the first 20miles. Then make sure I moderate my speeds for the next 180 miles? Unfortuanetly i will not be able to change the oil until 130 miles or so. Is this about it or am i missing something?

Also, please define "running hard" does this mean i shoud take to redline?

Old 08-01-2007, 12:20 PM
Default RE: New car break in clarification

Don't push the car.
Just take it easy for the first 1,000 miles.

Old 08-01-2007, 01:44 PM

Take it easy around 65 mph

that iswhat I did and no problems WITH MY CAR except for

the stupid mechanic who installed my steering wheel screwed it up. instead of just replacing the cover for airbag switch on the bottom of the steering rack hereplaced the whole steering wheel and left a socket inside the steering wheel column. I told the Manager and he was very very mad at the technician.

WARNING Do not hit the cover under the steering column it will break if hit it with your Knee

Old 08-02-2007, 09:59 AM
Banned

**** sake, if you know little about the topic dont comment. (sorry josh)

This break in secrets i have followed and proven on a number of occasions PERSONALLY. I will follow no other break in proceedure.

Old 08-02-2007, 11:16 AM

Josh I thought you were suppose to push the car hard at first so everything will set correctly.

Old 08-03-2007, 06:34 AM
Banned

To be a little more specific, putting a load on the engine is needed

Old 08-03-2007, 07:53 AM

It goes like this....high load, engine brake, cool off...rinse and repeat while going up in gears and you'll seat those rings right and right now and not later when the crosshatch marks on the cylinder walls have shimmed off enough to leak oil into the cylinders when the motor is "old", not to mention it will give you the lower end of the "serviceable" compression specs when done the traditional way.
You don't go full blast full load all day long btw.

I've done this 3 times.
My 97 Avenger when it was new, my wife's 05 caravan when it was new (though the wife didn't know it, lol), and my 4g63 after it was rebuilt (in 05).
My Avenger motor (6g73) had no oil in the chamber/pistons after 125k miles on it, never burn oil. I literally gave away a good 6g73! My wife's van runs strong and so does my 4g63. Chambers/pistons are still free of oil.
My dad broke his 80-something Mercury Capri the old easy way and that thing had issues with compression and burning oil. My moms Saturn runs really weak, and my dad's new Hyundai SUV will too because they broke them in easy.

Motoman's method is tried and true, in my cases and Sebz, + more from other forums. What's the worst that can happen? The rings don't seat right? You won't blow up the motor from this method.

I won't hesitate to do it again with any new vehicle I get. It's worked out great for 3 vehicles and it only takes a few runs...not a few easy thousand miles.

In the end you'll do what you will and that's fine. This is just my suggestion anyhow

Old 08-03-2007, 11:56 AM

Actually on another forum I've read from a lot of people that you should go easy on the first 1,000 miles miles... some people were pushing it hard and ended up f'ing up their cars and taking it back into for checkups at their dealerships...

Old 08-03-2007, 01:55 PM

When I bought my 2005 F-150 brand new, I was told to just take it easy for the first 3k.
Maybe the break in is different on a V8 than a 4 cyl.

Old 08-03-2007, 03:11 PM

Oh I am sorry Sebba I didn't know thatI can offend some peoplelike you.

It is really depends on the Owner of the car if he wants to drive it hard or not
Because it's his car. No matter what we advise him it is really up to him to listen or not

On my Lancer I drove hard than soft. I didn't drive rough all the time.

I gavemy engine a break go rough for short time and slow after that....

If you notice after driving very hard on a car.
The engineSHAKES A LOT on idle.
If you didn't noticed that there is nothing more I can say.

You are gonna drive the car rough anyway after 1,000 miles
So,why do we have to rush,,,making it a rough ride for a brand new engine on the first 1,000 miles?

Quick Reply: New car break in clarification