Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Sportback Newer to the United States, the Lancer line offers a sporty compact sedan, with all of the fine styling of the performance minded Evolution.

Passenger Seat Belt LIght

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2008, 05:20 PM
Default Passenger Seat Belt LIght

So within the past few weeks my passenger seat belt light has been flashing telling me that someone is sitting in the seat and not buckled up. There is nothing in the chair and it still says that someone or something is there.

I took it to Mitsubishi and after 3 hours and $110.00they said they don't have a schematic for it and I need to bring it back and leave it all day.

They think its cause by the leds i had instaleld behind the vents and in the center puch. therefore voiding the warrenty. These lights were installed 2 - 3 months ago. I don't think its an issue.

When I take it back its going to be another $210.00 if the warranty is voided. Has anyone else had a problem with the passenger seat belt light?

Old 11-04-2008, 07:09 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: Passenger Seat Belt LIght

Most likley an occupant classification sensorwhich detects any weight on the pass side seat.

Old 11-05-2008, 08:09 AM
Default RE: Passenger Seat Belt LIght

Well if the seat was working properly before you install those LEDS.
then the problemare the leds that you installed.

Are they lights? not sure what they are?

That's why I never install THINGS on my 2008 Lancer after 60,000 miles.

Old 06-27-2009, 07:05 PM
Default Same Problem

Yeah, I just bought an 09 GTS about 4 weeks ago and I already have this issue. The passenger seatbelt light keeps flashing while I'm driving, indicating that someone is sitting down and not buckled up. It's very annoying. I'm guessing this has been going on for about 10 days now. So, I had the car for about 18 days and this problem began. The only thing I had installed were mitsubishi accessories by mitsubishi, which should not void my warranty. I had the aluminum shift **** and brake **** put in. a cigar lighter and lower chrome garnish. Also the alloy fuel cover and scuff plates. I don't see how any of these parts would cause the seatbelt light problem, but we'll see. It started happening about 2 weeks after they installed the accessories, so I wouldn't necessarily attribute the problem to that. Any ideas?

Old 06-27-2009, 07:12 PM

(deleted)

Last edited by BrokeDad; 07-01-2009 at 10:16 AM.
Old 06-30-2009, 02:56 PM

...did you try buckling the pass. seat belt , even with no one there ?

............just to see what happens .........

Old 07-30-2009, 01:00 PM

Disconnect the light!

Old 01-18-2010, 02:35 PM

The same thing just started happening in my 09 Outlander, very annoying but I haven't taken it in yet.

Old 01-19-2010, 09:08 AM
Default Problem fixed

I wrote about this problem back in June, but I forgot to update. The problem was fixed about 3 weeks after it started. The seat was not clicked in to its proper place. Try that... moving the seat around and making sure it clicks down properly.

Old 01-29-2010, 11:29 AM

Originally Posted by jamster3
I wrote about this problem back in June, but I forgot to update. The problem was fixed about 3 weeks after it started. The seat was not clicked in to its proper place. Try that... moving the seat around and making sure it clicks down properly.
Thanks for the suggestion, unfortunately it didn't work for me. I'll have the dealer fix the issue in another month or two when I get time to take it in.

Quick Reply: Passenger Seat Belt LIght